Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 9 von 9
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    General Avatar von Korianous

Korianous ist offline

Newbies Guide to Gothic

Hey Guys. I've been reading for a while, played Gothic I/II/III several times through, and decided to try to write my own walkthrough. It'll span several posts. Basically, I'm trying to make a decent guide for newbies to the game.

It wont be so much a quest walkthrough, at least not yet, so much as general good ideas, skill builds, etc.

I'll probably do one for Gothic II as well soon.

So anyway, here it goes.

EDIT: No comments please. If you have suggestions, feedback, etc. please PM me. It's not that I don't appreciate it if you guys want to leave one, but I'm trying to keep this guide as clean as possible. So please, no comments yet.
    Geändert von Korianous (07.09.2008 um 14:43 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2

Korianous ist offline
    Newbies Guide to Gothic
    How to strut around the Penal Colony of Khorinis without getting repeatedly beat down

Table of Contents:
    (Material will be constantly added/changed until the guide is done)

Foreword
    The Story So Far
    Getting Started
    General Tips
    Character Archetypes

Foreword
    The Prison Colony in the Valley of Mines is a rough place. The innocent and minor criminals are often chucked in here, but so are the scum of the earth. The people and beasts behind the Barrier are rough and unforgiving. For someone just taking their fledgling steps into the colony, it's a pretty rough place.

But, fear not. This guide shall teach you all you need to survive in this harsh locale, so you can do the ass whooping, instead of the other way around.
    Geändert von Korianous (06.09.2008 um 16:24 Uhr)

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3

Korianous ist offline
    The Story so Far
    As the intro video says, you have just been chucked into a pretty nasty prison colony. The King of Myrtana, Rhobar II, needs swords for his army, to win his war against the Orcs.

So, he has prisoners dig ore in his mines on the island of Khorinis. So they don't just say, screw this, I'm outta here, and take off, he had a bunch of mages build a magic barrier to seal everyone in. But, something disturbed the nature of Magic that day, and the mages were sealed inside their own barrier.

So, the prisoners took over the colony, and the King was forced to make a deal. He sends the prisoners everything they need and want, and in turn he gets the ore. This continues for several years, until one day, you come along.
    Getting Started
    As I have said, this place kind of sucks. Lot of monsters, and other scary stuff. Talk to Diego, ask him everything you can, to learn all about the colony.

After you have done that, search the trading square, snag some ore and a beer bottle, and follow the path to the Old Camp.

In the meantime, grab everything you possibly can, kill those meatbugs, and get some bug meat (you'll need it for a quest).

Once you have a weapon, you should explore the area above the abandoned mine. You should find a spot where you can climb up. There you will find a couple of molerats, a scavenger, and a goblin. They shouldn't be too hard to kill, assuming you don't try to take them on all at once.

Take all the stuff on that cliff, then go across the bridge, kill that molerat, and take the Rusty Sword. Then climb back down, continue onto the Old Camp. Talk to the two hunters there, Ratford & Drax. They will tell you a bit more about what's up in the colony. Drax can teach you how to take animal trophies.

While it's not mandatory, they're somewhat neat skills to have. However, I recommend you don't spend your LP on them just yet.

Kill all the juvenile scavengers you can find. Even a full grown one shouldn't be ridiculously hard to take down, provided you play smart, luring them away one by one. Then, you can gain a level even before you enter the Camp. Once you have gained a Level, go to the camp. Don't try to do too much just yet.

Tell the Guard that Diego says you're to meet him in the camp. He'll let you in.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4

Korianous ist offline
    General Tips
    - Talk to everyone important wherever you go (they will be named). You may learn important things, find quests, etc.
    - Do any and all quests you possibly can. The experience and other rewards will be well worth it.
    - Don't kill any named NPCs. While everyone important to the storyline is immortal, you will miss valuable quests if you kill someone. If someone is making you mad, just beat them down, you don't have to kill them.
    - Don't spread your self out too thin when learning skills, or else you'll be ineffective at combat early on.
    - No matter which camp you want to join, do every quest for every camp. That way, you will gain the most experience possible. And these newbie quests won't affect your ability to join any camp. But for certain quests, remember what I said about avoiding killing people....
    - Hold off on joining a camp for a while. Don't just sign with one camp when you've reached the minimum level requirement (Level 5). Wait, do all the quests you can, and try to consider your decision well.
    - Talk to Horatio in the New Camp asap for a free +5 Strength Bonus.
    - When fighting enemies, don't try to take all of them on at once. Lure them away one by one, move backwards, and take them out.
    - If you want to fight with a bow/crossbow, make sure you have a good vantage point. Climb up on top of some taller rocks, and make sure that you have a wide berth between you and the creature you're shooting at. Otherwise they will just charge and cut you down before you can switch to a melee weapon. Also, bear in mind that when you hit a monster or hostile human with a bow and they are in a group, they ALL come running at you.
    - Learn to wield one handed weapons from Cord in the New Camp, as opposed to Scatty. Cord is way cheaper, and you'll need to be frugal with your ore early on in the game.
    Geändert von Korianous (07.09.2008 um 14:44 Uhr)

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5

Korianous ist offline
    Character Archetypes

Basically, you can play as three types of character, Warrior, Ranger, or Sorcerer. Each has their own respective advantages and disadvantages. Here I will breakdown a good way to spend your LP for each character class.

The Warrior
    This is probably the easiest class to play. It's also the one most people probably go for. As a Warrior, you can beat down everyone with your obnoxiously huge axe or sword, and flex your muscles to scare diggers.

Warriors will not usually favor ranged weapons or magic, but depending on your choice of camp, you might even still get to learn Circles of Magic as a warrior, getting to maybe Circle 3 or 4. I've never gotten higher than that as a Warrior, but I'm sure it's possible, with some smart skill point spending and a lot of patience.

Here's my basic Level by Level breakdown for spending your skill points playing as a Warrior:

Warrior Breakdown

Levels 1-5

Level 1
    +10 Strength (10 SP)

Level 2
    Learn One handed Swords Lvl. 1

Level 3
    Learn to Pick Locks (Lvl 1)

Level 4 & 5
    Learn One handed Swords Lvl. 2

Summary

-50 SP Spent

STR- 20
    One Handed Sword- Master
    Lock Pick Lvl 1.

If you've talked to Horatio, you should have 25 STR now, so you can wield some fairly decent one handers.
    Plus, since your competency is now at master, you will be able to swing your sword fast and use cool combo moves, which is always nice. You can learn more Strength later, to wield even better weapons

Lvl 1. in Lock Picking comes in handy. If your impatient (like me), you will be able to pick locks without breaking them constantly. It's a nice skill to have early in the game, so the 10 SP isn't too bad. Lvl 2. Lockpicking is a waste of skill points, just 1 level in Picking Locks is more than enough.

Levels 6-10

Level 6
    +10 Strength
    OR
    Acrobatics*

Level 7-10
    +40 Strength

* Acrobatics is a neat skill that enables you to jump much father and look agile. It's kind of cool, but it's not really necessary. You can get it at any point in the game though, so don't feel like you have to do it just yet if you don't want to.

Summary
    STR- 65 or 75
    One Handed- Master
    Pick Locks
    Acrobatics *

You should have a Strength of at least 65. Now, go beat down the Ore Barons. You will get massive exp. If you've joined a guild though that isn't the Old Camp, all of them will attack you if you hit one, so this is why you should stay guildless for now. The Ore Barons are worth beating, as their swords are the best one handers in the game.

Start off with the wimpier ones, and work your way up. I'd suggest beating up Arto, then Bartholo, then Raven, then Scar. Although atm, I cant remember whether or not Raven was invincible at this point. Try beating him anyway, and if he is, just go beat the others, but DON'T kill them!

Now you should have Scar's Sword. It requires 70 Strength and does 85 damage, you can now kill almost any creature with just a few whacks at most. Now go do some sweeps of the forest, clear out the Old Mine of Minecrawlers, and if you're feeling bold, go take on the beasts in the Orc Land for massive exp gains.

Levels 11-20

At this point, I recommend you join a guild. Save up your LP, and don't spend any of it just yet. Once you have been admitted to the ranks of the Guards, Mercenaries, or Templars (depending on the camp you joined), spend your SP this way.

70 LP on Two Handed Weapons (Master Competency)

+30 Strength.

Summary:

Strength: 95-100 (100 is the maximum amount you can train a stat)
    One Handed Weapons: Master
    Two Handed Weapons: Master
    Lock Picking Lvl 1
    Acrobatics*

At this point, you now have the strength and skill to wield any weapon in the game, and are the ultimate fighter, at only Level 20. Assuming you play smart, you can vanquish any opponent.

Now you can spend your LP wherever you wish. Learn the Circles of Magic, Archery, or w/e you want.

Recommended Faction Choice:

The Warrior can be played by any camp. If you want to play a pure warrior without magic, join the Old Camp.

A Warrior/Mage character should join the New Camp or Sect Camp.

[
    Geändert von Korianous (07.09.2008 um 18:00 Uhr)

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6

Korianous ist offline
    The Ranger

The Ranger will wreak havoc with his bow. He will not be quite as strong as the warrior early on, but will still be able to pick off his enemies before they can get near him. He will sneak around, pick off his foes, and leap away before any can cut him down.

Gothic doesn't seem to really try to support people who want to play as this character archetype, at least initially. It will be difficult early on, but will get more rewarding as the game progresses.

There are three skill builds for the Ranger, the balanced Ranger (which I recommend you play first), the Archer, and the Assassin. Here are their skill builds.

Ranger - Balanced

This Ranger is equally skilled with melee and ranged weapons.

Levels 1-5
    Spend the same way as a Warrior.

Levels 6-10

Level 6
    Take Trophies
    +5 Dexterity

Level 7
    +10 Strength

Level 8
    +10 Dexterity

Level 9
    Acrobatics

Level 10
    Sneak*

Character Summary

Spent 100 LP

STR- 35 (Assuming you talked to Horatio, you really should do this ASAP)
    DEX- 35 (All you will need for now)

One Handed Weapons- Master (30 LP)
    Pick Locks- Level 1 (10 LP)
    Acrobatics (10 LP)

For Ranger Characters, Acrobatics is almost essential, as you will need to get away from opponents
    quickly. Acrobatics is primarily important because it will enable you to rapidly put a great deal of distance between yourself and your opponent, important when you need to fire off a couple more shots to take down a Shadowbeast or switch to a melee weapon to fight
    those Orcs.

* Sneak also comes in handy, as it helps you in the arts of thievery and archery. However, it is optional with this build of Ranger, so you may supplant it with Strength or Dexterity, your call really.

Since your character is primarily a hunter, taking trophies is a nice skill to learn, plus it will make you a lot of ore.

Also, you may notice that at this point your character is far weaker than the Warrior. This is alright, as you can still wield some very good one handers. You will have more than enough time to learn Strength later, and become almost as powerful in melee combat.

Levels 11-15

Level 11
    Bow Lvl 1

Levels 12-13
    Bow Lvl 2

Levels 14-15
    +15 Dexterity
    +5 Strength

Character Summary

Spent 150 LP

STR- 40
    DEX- 50
    One Handed Weapons (Master)
    Bow (Master)
    Pick Locks
    Sneak*
    Acrobatics
    Take Trophies

From these Levels onward, spend your SP as you see fit. Learn two handed weapons & strength, or magic, or whatever suits you.

Archer
    This Character Type Leans heavily towards usage of bows. You absolutely must learn Sneaking & Acrobatics if you don't want this character to die often!

NOTE- I don't recommend this character type if this your first playthrough. It's rather tough to play an Archer effectively.

Levels 1-5

The same as always .

Levels 6-10

Level 6
    Acrobatics

Level 7
    Sneak

Levels 8-9
    +15 Dexterity
    Take Trophies

Level 10
    Bow Lvl 1

Levels 11-15

Levels 11-12
    Bow Lvl 2

Level 13-14
    +10 Dexterity

Level 15
    Crossbow Lvl 1

Levels 16-20

Level 16-19
    Crossbow Levels 1-2

Level 20
    +10 Dexterity

Character Summary

Spent 200 LP

STR- 25
    DEX- 45
    One Handed Weapons (Master)
    Bow (Master)
    Crossbow (Master)
    Pick Locks
    Sneak*
    Acrobatics
    Take Trophies

Next Level, Learn 10 Dexterity up to 55. This will enable you to wield any bow or crossbow in the game.
    Assassin

This character type is a blend of the warrior and the thief. Think ninja. He is an expert of the shadowy arts, and the hit and run style of fighting. He will be strong, yet agile. This is a tough character to play initially, but can become very cool. He also must learn the arts of sneaking and acrobatics. At higher levels, he will learn magic, making him a truly tough opponent.

Levels 1-5
    Do you even have to ask?

Levels 6-10

Levels 6-7
    +10 Dexterity
    +10 Strength

Level 8
    Sneak

Level 9
    Acrobatics

Level 10
    1st Circle of Magic

Levels 11-15

Level 11
    Bow Lvl 1

Levels 12-13
    +10 Dexterity
    +10 Strength

Level 14-15
    2nd Circle of Magic

Character Summary

Spent 150 LP

STR- 45
    DEX- 30
    One Handed Weapon - Master
    Bow- Trained
    Crossbow- Trained
    Sneak
    Acrobatics
    Pick Locks Lvl 1
    Magic- Circle 1

Levels 16-20

Levels 16-17
    3rd Circle of Magic

Levels 18-20
    4th Circle of Magic

Put all remaining LP into Strength

Character Summary
    STR-45
    DEX-30
    One Handed Weapons- Master
    Bow - Trained
    Sneak
    Acrobatics
    Pick Locks

From here on, put your skill points into dexterity (until you reach 50), and then mana and strength.

The Assassin should definitely have magic support, as he will not be using two handers. Sneaking is imperative, so you can sneak up and mug people, liberate ore from people you wish to steal from, and creep into forbidden areas unnoticed.

Acrobatics is also necessary for your character, as he will need to quickly dart out of bad situations and make his escape (ie getting caught by the Guards while pillaging the castle). Stealth is your best weapon.

Other Ideas: If you want, you can learn all your Magic Circles earlier on, and then focus on your other skills. However, I recommend spending LP the same way Levels 1-10
    Recommended Factions-

Although you can play through with any faction, here are my personal recommendations.

Ranger- New Camp,
    Because the character type fits the story of that camp well.

Archer- Old Camp/New Camp

Either the Old Camp or the New Camp. There's nobody who teaches archery in the Swamp Camp, hence it seems to be a poor fit for an archer.

Assassin- Swamp Camp

I personally recommend the Swamp Camp because you may learn magic right away, and 4 circles of magic is all you will need for the assassin. He will be able to use Pyrokinesis, Ice Block, and Storm of Fire, very decent spells for the assassin character.
    Geändert von Korianous (24.10.2008 um 22:59 Uhr)

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7

Korianous ist offline
    The Sorcerer

Alright, he is your run of the mill magical dude. This starts out as a tough character, but will become quite rewarding. The thing to remember is, DON'T JOIN THE SWAMP CAMP! You can only learn 4 of the 6 magic circles if you do this.

In this section, we will go over two types of mages, and here they are:

1. The Battlemage - Will be a blend of Warrior and Sorcerer.
    2. The Pure Mage - Relies more on his spells than his sword.

The Battlemage

Want to play a magician with some serious firepower, who can still cleave through Orcs with a mighty battleaxe? Yup, it's possible, and here's how:

NOTE: You must join the New Camp to really play this type of character, as otherwise he will not be able to maximize his combat skills (ie, learn 2-h weapons). Don't worry, you can still learn all 6 Magic Circles, it will just require careful spending.

For Levels 1-20, spend your LP as a warrior would. Don't train your mana until you've learned your magic circles, just obtain potions that permanently boost your mana. From Levels 20-30, learn all 6 circles of Magic. Then spend all leftover LP on mana. Yeah, this wasn't a long section, but it would just be blathering if I were to write out everything all over again. :P
    Geändert von Korianous (21.09.2008 um 22:29 Uhr)

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8

Korianous ist offline
    Trainers

These guys are all important. They will teach you every skill you need to survive in the Penal Colony.

I will list them all by camp:

Old Camp- Outer Ring

Diego- Strength/Dexterity
    Scatty- One Handed Swords
    Thorus- Two Handed Swords, Strength/Dexterity (If you're a Guard)
    Fingers- Pickpocketing, Pick Locks

Old Camp- Castle

Scorpio- Crossbow
    Corristo- Circles of Magic (1-4)
    Ach Fry, Ich hab dich mehr als der Monde, die Sterne...das...fail.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Warrior Avatar von mathúin

mathúin ist offline
    ehi Korianous when you will write a guide also for G2 can you send me a PM to "warn" me?

I do not frequent much the forum, thank you.