Gothic I Technical FAQ
Please, do *not* post in this thread.
After installing you will probably be playing version 1.08h.
The 1.08k patch is for when you're experiencing various graphical problems.
If you're still experiencing graphical problems, check if you're using a Kyro 2 card.
In which case you might want to try the german Kyro 2 patch.
Success is *not* guaranteed and the game *might* run into language issues.
Kyro 2 Patch
Drivers and Updates
Drivers for AMD-Products
- Graphic Cards
With graphical problems, especially with older cards, you could try installing an older driver. Suggested is Catalyst version 3.9. This one and older ones for Windows XP can be found here.
- Duel-Core Optimizer
- Updates, Driver and Utilities.
Drivers for Nvidia-Products
- Graphics card drivers
- Chipset drivers
Drivers for Intel-Products
Drivers and Updates for Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Updaterollup 1 for Windows 2000 with SP4
Drivers and Updates for Windows XP
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Drivers and Updates for Windows Vista
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (x86)
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (x64)
The contents of this faq is translated from the german version found here.
Geändert von Onisuzume (18.12.2008 um 22:58 Uhr)
Geändert von Onisuzume (13.08.2009 um 00:15 Uhr)
During the Installation of Gothic I, the setup-program keeps hanging at 99%. After some time the setup closes, but without doing anything else.
Solution: End before running the setup all active programs and unneeded processes using the task/application manager. It the setup keeps hanging, then wait a while for it to continue.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 12:54 Uhr)
The installation shuts down or cannot be continued.
- End before starting the installation all unneeded processes and programs.
- Make sure that the driver of your motherboard is up to date.
- Make sure that no spyware is on your computer. They run on the background and can hinder the installation. Programs such as LavaSoft AdAware and Spybot Search&Destroy can be used to scan and remove spyware.
- Check if the drive you're installing to has faulty sectors.
- Install the latest driver for your chipsets and IDE-controller.
- Change the BIOS-settings and/or set them to "Safe Defaults".
- Uninstall problem-programs such as Daemon-Tools, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, GameJack, DirectCD und InCD.
- Clean the CD/DVD-drive.
- Try installing it from a different CD/DVD-drive, if applicable.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 12:59 Uhr)
I have the Budget-version of Gothic I and while installing a patch it gives me the error-message of "Please Insert the Original CD".
Solution: The budget version already has the latest patch (1.08j) included and doesn't need to be patched (with the possible exception of 1.08k). The problem can only be helped be reinstalling the game without subsequent appliances of patches.
Geändert von Onisuzume (27.08.2008 um 13:56 Uhr)
I get crashed whenever I fight multiple opponents at the same time or when I hear certain sounds.
Solution: Browse the audio options of Gothic I and set "Miles Fast" as the soundprovider. Other soundproviders are too unstable.
This option was first included in the 1.08h patch, and a restart of the program is needed for the change to take place.
Geändert von Onisuzume (27.08.2008 um 13:59 Uhr)
I get the Error-message "C: failed to initialize sound, MSS reported: waveOutOpen() failed." whenever I try to run Gothic I.
- Software such as TotalRecorder turn the DirectSound-Hardware access off. When you have such software installed, follow the following procedure:
Rightclick the audioystem on the right of the systemtray. Choose "Change audio settings". Click on the "Audio" tab. And set the top "audio rendition" to the Soundcard, and click apply.
- Set the hardware acceleration in the DirectX diagnosis program the soundcardsettings to the maximum. To open the program go to start -> run/execute and enter "dxdiag" (without quotationmarks) and hit enter or click ok. After the program has gathered the system information, go to the "Sound" tab.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 13:11 Uhr)
The screen is black after starting Gothic I.
- Use the original Graphics Card driver from the manufacturer.
- Deactivate the scaling of the screensize. (System Control -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Display -> Flat Panel Monitor -> And turn off "some scaling thingy". (translation difficulties)
- Install older drivers for your graphics card. (Catalyst 4.12, Catalyst 5.11 oder Catalyst 5.9 for ATI-Cards or ForceWare 66.93 oder ForceWare 76.44 for Nvidia-cards)
- Open in notepad the file "vdfs.cfg" and change under the heading [VDFS] the entry "*.VDF" into "Data\*.VDF". Save changes and close the file.
- Check in the DirectX Diagnosis program if all graphics card settings are active and working properly.
- Try to start Gothic I in windowed mode. To do so, open "Gothic.ini" and search for the line "zStartupWindowed=0" and change it to "zStartupWindowed=1". Also makse sure that the screen dimensions are the same as that of your desktop. For example:
If the desktop is set to 16-bit colours, change it to 32-bit colours.
- Gothic I is partially or incompatible with some Catalyst-driver versions.This causes a black screen because the Gamma values are too low. Open the program ATI Tray Tools by right-clicking the icon in the system tray (near the clock) and choose the option "Colours -> Settings". Increase the Gamma value and save the change.
Now, delete the file "Gothic.ini", start the game, and close it. Now, open the ATI Tray Tools again and reset the gamma values so that the gamma values match those of the desktop.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 13:31 Uhr)
Gothic I starts only in windowed mode.
Solution: Double-click the window border. This should make Gothic I run full-screen.
Geändert von Onisuzume (27.08.2008 um 14:01 Uhr)
Gothic will only start after I've just restarted the computer.
Solution: There is some process which blocks Gothic. Open the task/application manager and close process after process until you've found the one that blocked Gothic. Make a note of which process it was so you don't have to repeat it everytime you want to play Gothic I.
A good idea is to tell your computer to run Gothic. This will fail, but the process "Gothic.exe" should be listed among the processes. The moment you close the process that was blocking Gothic I, you should see the typical leading image appearing behind the task manager.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 13:34 Uhr)
Gothic 1 always crashes when approaching one of the undead shamans.
- Get your hands on the file:
- download the VDFS Tool for Gothic
- set Root Path to the root directory of Gothic
( C:\Program Files\<Publisher>\Gothic\ )
- under Filename open the volume with the file
( MRM are compiled meshes - therefore: [gothic]\Data\Meshes.vdf )
- look for the file in the treeview/listview and select it
- press Extract Selected
- close GothicVDFS
- Copy the file where the game is looking for it:
Move the file on your disk ( /_work/Data/Meshes/_compiled/xxx.MRM ) to the directory which is mentioned in the error message ( /_work/Data/.../ ).
( note: create the directory if it doesn't exist already )
( note: the directory is probably /_work/Data/Meshes/_compiled/ITRW_2H_ORCSTAFF_01.MRM)
- Have fun while playing Gothic
Geändert von Onisuzume (15.01.2009 um 22:18 Uhr)
The dialoges overlap or the sound is cut short.
Solution: You can remedy this by using an AMD Dual-Core Optimizer.
Geändert von Onisuzume (30.08.2008 um 13:38 Uhr)
No dialogue or options-menu appear.
- Install patch 1.08k. (if you haven't done so already)
- Install the latest service pack for your operating system. (see link in post#1)
- Start a new game and immediatly run to your left, into the barrier, killing yourself. A menu should now appear.
- Deactivate the Verticle synchronisation by: right-clicking the desktop -> Features -> Settings -> Advanced -> 3D.
Geändert von Onisuzume (02.09.2008 um 17:36 Uhr)
Reserved for solution #12.
I can't see any video-sequences in Gothic I.
Solution: Deactivate the Anti-Aliasing (AA) in the graphicsdriver. In Catalyst (ATI), you can find the AA under Settings -> ATI Display-Settings -> 3D Turn-off, with ForceWare (Nvidia) the deactivation possible by right-clicking the Desktop -> NVIDIA Display -> Display -> Preformance- and Quality-settings.
Geändert von Onisuzume (02.09.2008 um 17:41 Uhr)
Reserved for solution #14.
Reserved for solution #15.
I can't get more than 25 fps!
Solution: Gothic I comes with a framerate limited. Make sure the Player Kit 1.08k is installed. Then install the unofficial Fps-patch made by NicoDE.
Geändert von Onisuzume (31.08.2008 um 22:08 Uhr)
Reserved for solution #17.
Reserved for solution #18.