Portal-Zone Gothic-Zone Gothic II-Zone Gothic 3-Zone Gothic 4-Zone Modifikationen-Zone Download-Zone Foren-Zone RPG-Zone Almanach-Zone Spirit of Gothic

Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1 Zitieren
    Local Hero Avatar von Darksword

Darksword ist offline

Trading method better in Gothic 1 than in Gothic 2

Please excuse me for not posting in German. I can read but not write it well enough to make myself understood.

I preferred the trading method in Gothic 1 because:
    1. it was fun trying to assemble goods to reach the value of what you wanted to buy, so as not to have to hand over any actual money-equivalent (I can't remember right now whether it was ore or something else - sorry, I am getting old and forgetful ).
    2. it gave you the chance to change your mind before finalising your purchase, with the Accept etc. option.

I guess I liked the Gothic 1 trade method because I like to play slowly and enjoy everything in these wonderful games - I am in NotR, not yet even halfway through Jharkendar, in Ch2, haven't been to Valley of Mines yet, and I'm on my 76th game day. So perhaps no one out there would agree with me.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2 Zitieren
    Flauschiges Bambi

Tyra ist offline
    Gameplaywise I agree with you. You had more options and were safe in case you misclicked. On the other hand I like speed of the method in gothic 2 - I don't want to spend a huge amount of time waiting to find the 'perfect' deal. And the setting in gothic 2 with actual merchants is probably more suited than the old 'balance' system outside of the mine colony.
    A modernized gothic 1 trading method would be great, but I guess we are a bit late.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3 Zitieren
    Veteran Avatar von Kalten666

Kalten666 ist offline
    Greetings, Darksword!
    Zitat Zitat von Darksword Beitrag anzeigen
    Please excuse me for not posting in German. I can read but not write it well enough to make myself understood.
    There is nothing to apologise for!

I preferred the trading method in Gothic 1 because:
    1. it was fun trying to assemble goods to reach the value of what you wanted to buy, so as not to have to hand over any actual money-equivalent (I can't remember right now whether it was ore or something else - sorry, I am getting old and forgetful ).
    (It was “magic ore” in Gothic I )
    As it was for me! And it is more similar to my speed in real life

2. it gave you the chance to change your mind before finalising your purchase, with the Accept etc. option.
    Yes, and even that had much flair!

I guess I liked the Gothic 1 trade method because I like to play slowly and enjoy everything in these wonderful games - I am in NotR, not yet even halfway through Jharkendar, in Ch2, haven't been to Valley of Mines yet, and I'm on my 76th game day. So perhaps no one out there would agree with me.
    I am a very slow player too—no cheating, no bug-abuse, no constant reloading when having done something wrong, exploring everything, sometimes sitting on a bench listening to the others or even just the fire (occasionally closing my eyes for some time).

Besides: is it not better to play a very long time for one’s money than to be through in a matter of hours?

I did play a near-fighting water mage in both, Gothic as well as Gothic II & DNdR: wrong skilling, one might say, but it was fun to be weak all the time
    As I did not have that much time to play and there where huge time gaps in between, it had taken me years! to play through (including having forgotten each time, what I had had to do next).
    I admit, I did cry at the end when I realised that it was over. (A sign for a very good game…)

May Adanos guide you!
    Kalten666

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Thank you for your kind words and detailed reply, Kalten666.

It's good to know that there is someone else out there who is prepared to savour the good things Gothic has to offer. I too like to drop into Coragon's Tavern and sit in front of the fire, especially on a rainy night. I love the small touches, like when the market place Guard walks past me in the rain and mutters, "Lousy weather!"

I'm not sure that I could play as a mage, even one with close-fighting skills: I need to rely so heavily on Strength that I would have very few LP for magic skills. The scheme I've worked out over the last 2 years for NotR is to train Strength to 88 and 2-Handed to 80 before applying stats boosters etc. I think there would be enough LP available in Gothic I, but probably not in NotR: it is a thing I've often thought about trying, as the Water Mages seem to me to have the right philosophy. (I have never played Gothic II with the NotR add-on, although I did buy it and plan to try it out when I finally finish NotR.)

May Adanos be with you too.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5 Zitieren
    Held Avatar von Xerkrosis

Xerkrosis ist offline
    I agree. Although in the long run the trading method in G2 was propably better. It was faster and you didn't have to worry, if the merchant has enough gold.

Gothic 3 had something similar, but with one extra: You could click to have the uneven values balanced out with gold. Also it couldn't reach a higher cost if the merchant or you (what ever was lower) didn't have enough gold.
    I often did not only trade my wares against gold, but also bought the arrows. The arrows and gold share the same value. Only that you can't autobalance it with arrows.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800xGigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G2x 8 GByte RAM
    Starter Boni durch Refferals
    [Bild: swtorsig00198x29lws3b.png][Bild: scsig001227x29olsci.png]

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6 Zitieren

Darksword ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Xerkrosis Beitrag anzeigen
    Gothic 3 had something similar, but with one extra: You could click to have the uneven values balanced out with gold.
    I haven't played Gothic 3 yet. I have it all loaded and ready to go, but just as I was going to start, life threw a lot at me, including computer problems, and I did no gaming for many months. When I began to play again, I decided to start with Gothic 1 again, it had been so long since I was in the Gothic world. So I did that, loved it of course, and am now playing G2 NotR but I've had to restart it quite a lot, most recently on Christmas Eve. So Gothic 3 is still waiting for me ... I'm still loving the whole G2 NotR experience, in no hurry to finish.

Zitat Zitat von Xerkrosis Beitrag anzeigen
    I often did not only trade my wares against gold, but also bought the arrows. The arrows and gold share the same value.
    Yes! I did the same with arrows in G1, very useful things to have indeed.
    "All that matters is Strength." (Mercenary who hangs out in Onar's house)

Healing potions: the case for addiction (Book title in Divine Divinity)

"I've seen better times. Too little to live on, too much to die." (Farim, Gothic II Night of the Raven)