Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge

Umfrageergebnis anzeigen: Please grade Risen 3: Titan Lords according to the scale below

• Very good - the game is on par with the best of the genre (current and past)

12 19,67%
  • Good - the game is a highlight in the genre but there are better ones

29 47,54%
  • Satisfactory - the game was fun to play but not really memorable

15 24,59%
  • Adequate - it meets the necessary minimum requirements you would ask for in a RPG but that's about it

3 4,92%
  • Inadequate - there are shortcomings in important RPG aspects and little to compensate

2 3,28%
  • Fail - all things considered, the games failed in (almost) every aspect that matters

0 0%

Teilnehmer
61. Du darfst bei dieser Umfrage nicht abstimmen
Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 30
  1. #1 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Community Review

In this thread, every member of the community can cast their vote on the new Risen 3, provided they have actually played it.

In order to keep it simple and easy, we are sticking to a variant of school grades for the rating system. They are a little bit different from country to country but most have 6 different grades (1-6 or A-F or something like that). So that’s what we will use. We added a explanation of what each score means. Please adhere to it when rating.

The rating score is kept simple on purpose but you can give a more elaborate rating and explanation by posting in this thread. However, you do not have to write a detailed review if you do not want to. Your vote is enough.

Note: You might want to wait until you have finished the game. Because if you vote prematurely, you might come to regret it later. The poll will remain open indefinitely, so there is no rush.

A few rules about this thread:
    • Please post reviews only! If you want to comment on someone else’s review or have questions about it, use the discussion thread!
    • Please deactivate your signatures when posting in this thread.
    • Vote and post only if you actually played the game. Do not vote solely on what you heard from others.

Posts that do not follow these rules risk being deleted without further comment.
    foobar ist gerade online Geändert von foobar (23.08.2014 um 20:09 Uhr)

2. #2 Zitieren
    Just arrived
    OK, let me be the first one.

There's an inexplicable visual downgrade from Risen 2, the voice actor for the new hero (who is not nameless anymore since we can call him Steelbeard Junior) is trying so hard to sound like a badass chain-smoker that it's kind of ridiculous (the contrast between the last hero rough pirate looks and his voice of a sophisticated witty gentleman made him one of my favorite video game characters of all time) and I really hate how Patty looks and sounds now, but those are minor complaints. I've been playing for only a couple of hours but I got exactly what I wanted - the best ideas of the first and the second Risen combined and combat mechanics that actually work. I had also a chance to try the console version and it's not an unplayable mess this time. My overall impression is quite positive at this point.
    Garrett Swindle ist offline Geändert von Garrett Swindle (15.08.2014 um 22:11 Uhr)

3. #3 Zitieren
    Just arrived

i began to play risen 3 yesterday after having read many reviews on the net... which for the most part were "quite bad"... check if you don't believe me, and at first i was scared by all these reviews. But... i am 35 years old and it's not a review who's going to stop me, as i have played and finished every of your games since Gothic the first years ago.

(and for me Gothic the 1st of the serie... stays one of the best rpg i have ever played... and Risen 2 was the worst... but still quite enjoyable !)

To be honest... it's really a pleasure to explore in Risen 3, the same pleasure i had in Gothic 3 with some beautiful graphics all around me. Sometimes i even wonder if i play to your games to finish the main plot, or just to relax like if it was some yoga session

The first cinematic when you die (it's not really a spoil as it happens after 30 min of game) is really "laughable" no frankly... but it was the same in Risen 2 when steelbeard died... i watched the cinematic... but i couldn't resit to laugh at some point

For the rolling part during battles... Yeahhhhh !! At last the good rolling of Gothic 1 is back ! Battles are less deadly than in some of your previous games, like the good old wolf combo of gothic 3, but at least it's not frustrating anymore. (Though i saw that if i placed a roll at the wrong moment, i could still be hit and comboed... so that means this roll feature is not making us invincible and that is good)

The character menu could still be improved... though the actual menu is kinda old school, and changing it too much could make old fans flee... But i'd like to be able to place markers on my map, because i found many chests that i couldn't open yet, and so i had to write on a paper all the locations to come back later.

Quest menu also... well... after many discussions, this thing become quite messy...

Anyway i love risen 3 so far... i just love it...

ps : why is the main character looking so much like Chris Hemsworth lol ?

and why is the background cinematic and music on main menu looking so much like "Game of Thrones" on TV ?
    BuilderX ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren
    Just arrived
    Hey, I write from Poland, and I play now in Risen 3 Titan Lords.
    Risen 3 is very good game, when I look this game, I love it
    We don't have a dubbing in Risen 3 : ( only subtitles... This is a big minus but i can it survive...
    graphics in this game is very good, maybe the Genome engine isn't new but we can see beautiful game.
    fight and story in this game is a bigger level from Risen 2.
    But the Pirat climat and the heroes pirat it's only from Risen 2...
    Music in game... Main theme music is very good and satisfaction.
    Sorry for my english, I better write on my country language.
    I going play now, have a fun!!
    LoRdKwiateK ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von AshleyG
    Hi, I've been playing PB games since Gothic.
    My favorite has been Gothic 2 so far.
    I'm going to review Risen 3 without overcriticising or overpraising it as you'd expect a fan too.

Let's be honest, there's alot of great games out there, so saying Risen 3 is awesome and the best isn't fair.

I'll make a list of it's flaws, and then I'll make on of its strengths. It's rather synthetic, I can develop all this if asked.

What's disapointing/missing:
    • Boring NPC's: Imo they should have given more dialogue and quests to Patty and Eldrich who are interesting, and less to random people. Every NPC has his boring repetitive little quest and story. A waste.
    • Boring story: I don't think they were very passionate there...It really looks like they just had to release a game because it's their job and had to make a story so just wrote something on a piece of paper between diner and dessert some evening.
    • Non fun combat system: That's debatable and maybe a matter of taste. But those "quick" attack speeds are ridiculous. The combat is the same boring stuff over and over again. Enemies always attack the same way, each combat with a scavenger takes forever, and when it starts hitting you there's no way out, just eat the full combo. I could go on forever...It just sucks
    • Trying to go back to the roots...Apparently they were trying to reproduce 10-15 years old features rather than trying to improve an innovate. WOW. And they didn't even get to the level of 15 years old games.
    • Depressing world: What that's all that's left of humanity? Demon hunter is actually a guild? There's so few of them o.0 ANd they all stand still and never do anything. The whole game, no NPC moves, they're always at the same place yeah ok interesting lives they got.
    • Shit quests: Yeah...they're just plain bad. Not much to say, pretty self explanotary.
    • Short game, and low replayability. If you do all quests, you're done in 20 hours. Most quests are not memorable and you just do them out of fear to miss something. Believe me, you're not missing anything. The guilds have specific quests, about 2 hours of content. I don't know if that's enough to go through a boring story once more.
    • Climbing is back! Lol just kidding, you clic on a ladder, then you get a black screen, and you're teleported to the other end of it. Was better 15 years ago.
    • They re-used same npc's as last game, same models and all...This should have saved them time to be able to add new features right?
    • In the whole game I just saw 2 npc's talking to each other. Maybe this is something they could add in an addon? I don't care if they use the same engine and models, may they do it if it helps them make the game more interesting.

Good aspects (might be some minor spoilers):
    • Sea battles...New, and kinda fun (can be frustrating for bad players who keep dying and have to restart from the beggining lol) Won't say more...spoiler
    • It has the main classic rpg elements.
    • Believable and all right fast travel system: you got to activate teleporter stones on the map.
    • Well organised quest journal.
    • Sense of achievement: you really feel you're getting stronger.
    • The combat system...I was a bit harsh with it, it's not THAT bad. It just isn't as fun or as satisfying as some other games. I don't liek the sosge sytem that much, but once you learn riposte, it gets quite better. The magic system is pretty good. The melee magic system is a positive point.

So to sum up, it's an ok distraction for rpg fans, but certainly not a revolutionary game nor it will become a classic of the genre. As quickly forgotten as it gets finished.

Maybe they could add important features, such as fun, and polish the game, in an addon? In it's state it's a time killer, but no more, it's just boring.

13/20 SATISFACTORY
    AshleyG ist offline Geändert von AshleyG (18.08.2014 um 12:26 Uhr)

6. #6 Zitieren
    Just arrived
    J'ai dépassé les 25h de jeu et encore une fois je pense au fossé qui existe entre l'appréciation du testeur professionnel qui enchaine les jeux les uns après les autres et le joueur qui paye son jeu et qui saura par conséquent plus facilement retenir les bons points plutôt que systématiquement prendre plaisir à insister sur les mauvais.
    L'avis de la presse est important pour beaucoup et influe sur la décision d'achat.
    Je lis moi même les tests mais pas forcément avant l'achat, j'achète même souvent avant la parution des tests ( précommandes que j'annule très rarement ) car je connais mes goûts, et je sais quel jeu saura me plaire malgré tout en dépit de ses défauts réels.

Pour ce Risen3 je savais que j'aimerais et je suis très heureux de ne pas avoir suivi l'accueil généralement très frileux de la presse JV sur le 1er Risen sinon je serais passé à côté de cette série qui sait insister sur ce que j'aime le plus dans le RPG : l'exploration.
    Quand bien même les combats seront parfois pénibles au début quand on est à poil et pas du tout skillé ( notre compagnon aide bien ) j'aurais toujours le plaisir à explorer chaque recoin de chacune des îles visitées car je sais que si je suis ce petit sentier bien caché alors j'aurai une récompense au bout ( parfois trois fois rien, une fleur à popo à cueillir mais parfois un coffre ou mieux : une grotte à visiter .

Je veux bien en chier un peu sur les combats, subir parfois ce ciblage approximatif ( oui j'ai tapé mes alliés sans le vouloir oui c'est chiant c'est vrai ) mais très sincèrement le plaisir de l'exploration récompensée l'emporte sur tout le reste et c'est ce que je recherche chez PB et je sais que je trouverai ce que je cherche chez eux.
    Les voix anglaises ne sont pas si affreuses que ça, en tout cas rien de choquant pour moi , les animations pareil ça me va comme ça...
    Je ne dois pas être très exigeant à ce sujet ou plutôt je ne fonde pas mon jugement global là dessus, tout est affaire de priorités et mes critères sont clairs : tant que j'aurai toujours cette exploration et cette immersion alors les défauts périphériques passeront quasiment inaperçus.
    Merci à PB pour m'apporter à chaque fois ces 2 éléments pour moi essentiels dans un RPG et tant pis si le vernis de la carrosserie n'est pas si brillant que chez les productions AAA et leurs multimillions de budget...
    Ma note : 17/20
    poiro ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von catalinux
    I just finished Risen 3 after 54 hours, as a voodoo pirate, and now I can say I wasn't wrong to vote as "Inadequate".

Sure, it was fun to play. But what kept me playing was only the fact that the world looks so beautiful, there are many memorable places, and I enjoyed to explore every piece of land.
    Exploring was rewarding per se. Don't think you will find something interesting, most chest are locked, you don't have the ability to open most of them in the first hours, and by the time you might be able to open them, you forget their location, because there are so many of them. And when you finally open a hard to open chest, you find just a few generic items.
    Sure, there are legendary items, and maybe two melee weapons, scattered around the maps. But that's all.

The quests are in PB tradition. I found most of them enjoyable.

Dialogs are nice, too. A lot of NPCs have personal stories to tell, if you have time to listen to them. Some NPCs are back from Gothics.
    It was funny to hear Patty complaining that some merchant tried to grope her. Who wouldn't?

Character development offers a lot of possibilities. You can learn many skills, and master them. You can better yourself.
    But at no point you will feel the urge to learn any of them.
    You can learn blacksmithing, but sooner or later the game will reward you with a free better weapon.
    You can learn to make spells, brew potions or alcohol, but the game will give you planty of them for free.
    And so on.
    You can join one of three guilds, which adds a re-play value.
    Same teachers are in all guilds, so you can't miss anything.

Combat could have been much better.
    Melee combat consist in one button clicking, and another key pressing for you to dodge. Attack, dodge. And so on. Sure, if you learn skills, you will see different animations. But you are still having a click fest.
    Magic combat is nicer. That's why you probably at some point in the game will stick mostly with the magic.
    Until the finall boss fight, you can survive and strive without investing in combat skills.
    You remember Moe from Gothic 2? He is back, and he still doesn't want to let you into a tavern, unless you pay him gold. You remember how in Gothic 2 it was impossible to defeat him until much later in the game, until you gain same strength, and a better weapon? Well, in Risen 3 you can defeat him with you eyes closed. This is how much melee combat in Risen 3 sucks.

What I hated most was the menu. Cooking, crafting, brewing, character development, opening chests, everything happens in the menu. Immersion killer.
    I haven't find a way to drop items on the ground.
    And the loading screens were so annoying, and so many of them. Why was it necessary to have a loading screen when teleporting from one place to another on the same island? Technical reasons, I guess.

Character movement depends heavily on mouse. I dislike this so much.

Later in the game, monsters respawn (I'm pretty sure) just on Taranis and Calandor. I don't like this.

Stairs magically teleport you up or down. Really?

Swimming is nice. Climbing is nice, too. But swimming without diving to find some underwater entrance to a hidden place, it felt like somethimg important was missing.

I kept checking all the waterfalls. Nothing behind them. Oh well, why would have been some hidden caves there? Same for the coastline, I can't remember any cave.

Except for Patty's voice, no other voice got my attention.

One last thing - the human habitats are a joke. I said human habitats because at no point I could call a village, village, or a town, a town. There are only houses, or buildings. Nothing sustains their existence. They don't fell alive. And nowhere you will feel at home. You will not get a hut just for you. Or a chamber.

Risen 3 is nice. But except for landscapes and quests and lines, everything else deserves a 4/10. In my humble opinion.
    catalinux ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren
    General Avatar von KGS
    I voted adequate for this, it kept me interested enough to finish it unlike risen 2 so that's already an improvement. The game surely has major flaws, but "all the elements are there".

The game as a whole is far too easy, and the combat is shit. Playing it at hard makes the mobs take larger chunks of your hp which can lead to several deaths early on in the game but that's about it. On the other hand you have plenty of pots, dodge has no cooldown, and it makes you invulnerable regardless of your position for far too long. Weapons have essentially no range, as you position yourself automatically to make a hit when the enemy is in focus. I imagine that playing a mage would be even easier as all the "magic-melee" hits in aoe. You can increase more than 20 points in each stat by potions alone, and get tons of hp from black hearts practically for free, and there are tons and tons of spell scrolls you get for free. The bosses offer less of a challenge than the arm-wrestling minigame.

There are no memorable characters in the game, they all lack depth, and although some are somewhat interesting they have some kind of episodic feeling to them, and the dialogue was kind of stale. I really liked the island of Calador with pretty much everything on it. And exploration was fun, untill i got tired of it after 3 or so islands. (I kind of didn't like that everywhere you could go was marked on your map with all the ledges you had to climb and all, but that is not a big issue). The story was weak, but it has a particular value in that it finally links the risen and gothic series beyond mere speculation:
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    the grandmage says that mages acted once as priests for the gods and aimed to do good and guide people; and Morgoloth says that the gods' instruments of power were disabled/destroyed and thus they lost their link with the world which is the Xardas ending in G3

It is useless to lockpick any chest which requires less than 120 skill i.e. the majority of the chests.
    KGS ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    I just finished the game. It took me 47 hours. Here are the things that impressed me:

+ the story was original and it suits with the name of the franchise
    + the glory system (from risen 2) is better than the one with level. it's more free to choose and more complex
    + the soul system
    + there are tones of unique quests to be done in many ways
    + many unique NPC each one with their stories
    + the living word which includes:
    + after completing a quest the NPCs talk about it
    + NPC talk to each other about some random subjects
    + every NPC has his routines activities
    + the variety of monsters with their AI
    + your companion react to the world
    + many items and hidden chest are ready to be found ALERT
    The thing with windmill from Calador was really clever!!!
    finding Hawke at that height in Tacarigua was a nice surprise
    ; even some easter eggs
    i found two of them

+ sometimes, during the night, when i sneaked in a room the npc can be woken up( i don't know if this was happening only to me and it's a bug but i really liked it)
    + not all NPCs turn aggressive if you steal from their room but still react to it
    + some scene and conversations are really funny and the game knows it
    ALERT
    It makes me laugh very hard when you threatens Slim to give you his clothes and ask him to dance for you

+ the main character seems to have a bit of personality but not as much as Bones (which by the way i love him , he was so funny) , however it's quite memorable
    + the huge open world which combines the dark atmosphere from Gothic with the colorful one from Risen
    + voodoo parrot dool which let you explore ALMOST everything you want
    + the water looked impressive
    + the naval battles were a good new thing
    + awesome melee magic animation and nice final executions at the end of some fights
    + the main soundtrack is very good
    + Shadow Lords looked and sound very very good

Things that i didn't like :
    - THE INVISIBLE WALLS; yes there are some place that you could never reach if you are not doing the quest line , but wasn't that all about when you talk about a Piranha Bytes game? You never did this , you let us explore everything we can see. If you consider that a place shouldn't be discoverd until some point , you must find other ways to lock it but not INVISIBLE WALLS.It was very disappointing...
    - I HATE THE INVENTORY!!! Don't make it like that again PB! I hope you READ THIS!!!
    - voice acting of hero character sounds ridiculous
    - the graphics were pretty bad
    - the mountains were just huge rocks that were looking the same and it makes feel so repeatable
    - many low resolution texture reused all over the world
    - the free camera that makes me disoriented during fights
    - even if the concept of the animations were good , the execution have just some frames when you are in battle
    - Shax's facial animations were terrible , like there is a bug
    - some objects in the world are put wrong (like a barrel with some parts on a rock , or plants which are taller than the water)
    - annoying soundtrack in some places like the mages camp. i couldn't play with that music on
    - climbing ladder has no animation
    - ALERT
    The ending gives no information about what happend whith this franchise... I was wonder what happened with the nameless one from the firts 2 game, who told me will meet again and what was happening with the world

After all it was a good game. Even if it looks like a 2008 game i liked it.I know you hadn't enough time to do like you wanted , but some things you could do better. For the rpg aspects i give you 10/10 , even better than Risen 1 , and overall 7/10.
    sterea16 ist offline Geändert von sterea16 (11.09.2014 um 01:59 Uhr)

10. #10 Zitieren
    Warrior
    I have finished Risen 3 in 60 hours as a "good" voodoo pirate. Overall I've enjoyed it pretty much and I will definitely replay it in the future, but it has its fails and quirks. My personal opinion below.

Pros:
    • Very well optimized and almost bugfree. Very fast loading times.
    • Beautiful landscapes and water.
    • Plenty of hidden stuff, which rewards exploration.
    • Character progression is clearly visible, piss-poor at the beginning, demigod at the ending. No level scaling of enemies. I love it.
    • Joinable guilds and armor progression.
    • Voodoo magic is awesome. I hope the other 2 guilds provide similar entertainment (did not even try them).
    • Parrot flight and flying through the whole landscape from the top of a mountain. Niiiiice!
    • Dialogs are mostly well written and funny. Especially the occassional remarks of companions.
    • While Risen 2 felt a wholly different game than Risen 1, Risen 3 is certainly a continuation of Risen 2, even if the main hero is a new guy. Returning characters look and sound the same (except for Patty), which should be mandatory in every sequel!
    • Plenty of funny Gothic references on Calador, a nice touch!
    • The game felt considerably longer than the previous Risens and maintained my interest through.
    • Good minigames. Lockpicking is perfect, I'm happy it's once again not an F5/F9 combo, I hope it'll remain the same in the future. Sea battles were entertaining, too.
    • One particular place with switches and rotating platforms. I loved the similar, "logical" sections in Risen 1.
    • Permanent potions with great stats. Now that's what I call rewarding!
    • NPCs talking to each other. Missed it badly.
    • Lots of quests, and most of them unique, funny and entertaining. Companion quests are good additions, too.

Cons:
    • Plenty of low resolution textures and low poligon models. Maybe the fiasco of Gothic 3 still haunts the Piranhas?! Or it's just some "console input".
    • Cheap solutions for some gameplay elements, which really bothered me.
      • Teleporting ladders, lianas, swimming. Apart from being immersion breaking this is just sad, because it shows the lack of care and creativity. None of these requires hundreds of man hours, just some new animations or something like the sea monster in Risen 1.
      • Invisible walls. Terrible, especially if some kind of levitation is implemented (like parrot flight here).
      • Cooking, smithing, etc. is done in the UI and not in the world.
    • There were some clipping errors here and there in caves/houses (with zoomed out camera), which is a PB trademark. It did not annoyed me much, however the camera was badly positioned on several occassions during dialogs and it was inside the follower or the follower stood in line, which was rather lame.
    • I did not like the "backend" UI of Risen 2 and unfortunately Risen 3 uses almost the same one. I think this multitabbed list is just not right. Too much clicking and scrolling, while a lot of space is wasted in the center.
      • The inventory has too few categories and even those are weirdly sorted. Sometimes you just scroll for ages to find something (like a newly created voodoo doll). Gothic 3 and Risen 1 had very nice inventories: very well categorized, sorted and only the icons were displayed with tooltip descriptions.
      • Skills are divided into multiple lists, again too much clicking and scrolling and absolutely not user friendly. By the way the skill list is bugged if you have zoom (other than 100%) in Windows 7. Risen 1 (and the Gothics) did it right with just one single page displaying everything.
      • The zoomable map with the huge icons is horrible. My middle mouse button needs a replacemenet! Why not showing a full screen map with just tiny icons? And I hope in the future it will be possible to add custom remarks (for chests and stuff). It works perfectly in King's Bounty.
      • The center of the page is wasted with the hero's huge model. Well, being a third person game with plenty of dialog cutscenes I have the "pleasure" to see my character all the time, thus this is pretty useless. Also I don't really care how he looks, I'm equipping the armor for stats most of the time.
    • I've joined my guild at approx. 45 hours in the game, so my first chapter took 3/4 of the whole playtime. Later chapters became pretty linear, with little exploration and almost no optional sidequests. Again, a Piranha tradition.
    • Companions are too strong. I played on hard and Bones could have won every fight on his own right from the start. I have intentionally skipped difficult enemies at the first half of the game to avoid this "exploit".
    • Starting armor is too good and IMHO looks stupid in this (mainly) tropical setting. I will not use it in the future.
    • The Sun is always shining. Where is the varied, hectic weather of Risen 1? No fog, no rain, no storm, no nothing... or was I just unlucky?
    • Other than one companion leaving me at the end, there was absolutely no point in regaining the humanity. It's a completely wasted effort: no effect on quests or the ending or the appearance; nothing, just a number at the bottom of the screen.
    • Too many potions, scrolls and stuff lying around. Never low on anything, no need to craft them, apart from making money. Except for occassional silver tongue or intimidate potions (and as crafting materials) I've never used a "timed" potion.
    • Digged treasure chests have disappointing content.
    • No real ending of the game and franchise. Still better than Mass Effect 3.
    • Savegames are not compressed. Average size is 5 MB, zipped 600k. It takes ages for Steam to sync them. Also it is not possible to save during sea battles and voodoo transformations.

Other comments:
    • Character models, faces and animations are slightly improved, however women look pretty much the same (like in every PB games).
    • Provisions vs. real food, I'm still undecided, which one is better. Provisions are easier to manage, but completely unrealistic.
    • X marks every quest locations on the map. It came handy sometimes, when I felt completely lost, but it's definitely not the right way to guide the player.
    • Little use for the trained monkey. Need more!!!
    • Until joining the guild I had absolutely no clue what the astral vision is for. While the concept sounds good in theory, I have never used it. For me this feature just wasted some precious development time, which could have been allocated to solve other, more important problems and shortcomings.
    • Levels vs. glory system, well, it would be nice to combine both in the future. The glory system is more versatile, but having no levels is kind of sad in an RPG.
    • The music, which was a strong point in PB games until Risen 1, is just there, but it's hardly noticable or memorable. Sometimes it suits the setting, other times it's completely out of place.
    • Melee combat is too simple, but at least it's responsive and there is some improvement over time thanks to some skills. Sword-optimized finishing moves are funny, when you have a Morning Star.
    • The story was okay, not bad, not great.
    • Voice acting quality was ranged from uninspiring to impressive. The main character's deep, gritty voice did not really fit the handsome, babyface guy. Gnomes sounded pretty funny again. Eldric and Bones had quality voice actors I think. And I'm sure I've heard a few familiar voices from good old Gothics (English version).
    • Pickpocketing is underdeveloped I think. Just a level check and one click and that's it. I think Risen 1 had the best pickpocketing mechanic: a nice timed dialog and the ability to choose your reward.
    • I've missed some diving here and there. Not badly, just a little.
    • Monster AI is average.
    rotator ist offline Geändert von rotator (03.09.2014 um 11:05 Uhr)

11. #11 Zitieren
    Provinzheld Avatar von Nikolai81
    I was pleasantly surprised with Risen 3, and think it was a large step in the right direction compared to Risen 2. Piranha Bytes clearly listened to the community; they included joinable factions with faction-specific content, they opened up the world to allow more freestyle exploration, they wrote a little bit of lore (!), and they made an effort to 'integrate' all the Risen games by bringing back numerous elements from the original as well as the sequel. The only major weakness is in my opinion the low difficulty; even if you use the hard difficulty setting, never use companions, never use potions, and avoid exploiting the roll maneuver, you'll be able to breeze through most of the game except in the beginning. The fact that there's no great challenges to overcome, and the fact that you gain so much experience and gold that you can max out all abilities and skills, significantly reduces replay value. I'll no doubt replay Risen 3 at some point, but not for a while, in the hope that there'll be a patch which addresses some of the negative feedback regarding low difficulty. I want to be challenged.

I'll sum up most of the positives and negatives, though without going into too much detail:

Positives
    - Completely stable, without a single crash. Not even a single bug as far as I could tell (although I've heard there are a few).
    - Interesting guild concepts, with some unique quests and assorted content. The world responds to your faction choice (to some extent), and it impacts your character visually and practically.
    - One character path for Risen 2 fans (voodoo pirate), and two more reminiscent of Gothic and the original Risen.
    - Diverse islands with various climates, cultures, and atmospheres. I especially enjoyed exploring Taranis, Calador, and Fog Island.
    - Numerous homages to Gothic (the Guardian camp 'looks familiar', walking through Kyle's house, etc.).
    - A new hero character, allowing us to start from scratch without having to justify being greatly weakened. This one even has some muscle on him.
    - The ability to swim, and to crawl by using the sprint key. Wave effects swinging you up and down, as well.
    - Unique magic systems available to each faction.
    - Unique faction ship types, and a somewhat interesting crew which you can interact with throughout most of the game. I've wanted that ever since the end of Gothic 2, though to be fair the R3 (or R2) crew can't hold a candle to the G2 crew.
    - Still zero political correctness. They've even turned the political incorrectness up a few notches, especially in terms of how they represent women.
    - The rather open world (although not a sandbox) allows us to proceed through the storyline based on roleplaying preferences. If you want to prioritize reuniting with Patty and your old crew you can do that, and if you want to pursue other goals there's nothing stopping you.
    - Good German voice acting (as far as I can tell, as someone whose German is a third language).
    - Unique NPC faces. I only noticed a few mustached Inquisitor faces looking rather similar.
    - Mostly amusing mini games, although I missed the shooting range from Risen 2.

Negatives
    - Difficulty, as mentioned above. When I replay there won't be any new challenges to face, and there won't be any new builds to experiment with, and I've already beaten and maxed out everything. The only exception is that I'll be able to learn a different school of magic, which will be interesting but probably not very significant as you don't really need it. The 'immortal companion' issue should definitely be addressed. There's far too many permanent stat boosts as well, and the roll mechanics (a.k.a. 'godmode') can easily be exploited.
    - Garish and unnaturally saturated colors in many locations, typically in the most Caribbean beach ones. Most notably on the Crab Coast, which gave me a poor first impression. The graphic settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) were useless as they only made the problem worse. The skies of Taranis were unnaturally bright white, as well. I got the impression that the graphics were fine-tuned to make Calador and Fog Island look perfect, to the detriment of other islands.
    - The 'static weapon drawing' looks bizarre. When you draw your weapon your hand moves, but the rest of your body is completely static, as though it's frozen in time.
    - Although there's several beautiful tracks, the music doesn't match the quality of KaiRo's. It's nice to listen to, but not to the extent that I'll play it outside the game.
    - Most of the crew members were fine, but that's all. Mendoza could have been great, but was too one-dimensional. The black guy was completely uninteresting. None could compare to Xardas, Diego, and Gorn.
    - Anticlimactic ending sequence.
    - We can't look backwards while running.
    - The camera angles were occasionally very bad. I often ended up with ass-views or views that displayed poor character clipping issues.
    - In several location you can watch the shadows 'tick' like the second-hand on a wrist watch, instead of moving smoothly and gradually. Tick, tock, tick, tock.
    - There should be a better way to manage lore and recipes, than having to scroll through a list of plunder.
    - When I knock someone unconscious after a friendly duel, I tend to automatically do a 'kill maneuver' such as stabbing them through the heart or slitting their throat. Then they get up and resume their lives without a scratch...
    - No weather effects such as rain and thunder.
    - I didn't like the 'monster countdowns' in quests. Showing me the complete number of monsters in an area after my first kill reduces immersion and suspense.
    - It would've been nice to see the mists recede after shutting down crystal portals.
    - The hero character model clips through rocks when climbing (on the initial jump).
    - When throwing daggers in the mini game, there should be an NPC who spins the wheel. It looks too odd for it to spin by itself, as though it's remote controlled.
    - Bones keeps spamming his comment about 'deine Crew zu inspizieren' over and over again.
    - When I re-enter some areas where I've killed monsters, those monsters will look alive for a moment and then repeat the death animation.
    - At least a few other members of the Guardians faction should wear oculi. It doesn't make sense for the hero character, as a fresh Cadet, to be the only member wearing one.
    - Although the final island was interesting, the fact that I was maxed out and didn't have any more character development ahead of me made me rush through it. It seemed a bit superfluous, as I was ready for the game to end much earlier.
    - The 'inspirational speech music' was a bit too overused.

The positives are mostly big issues, and the negatives are mostly small issues. If the issues associated with the low difficulty are addressed, I'll rank Risen 3 as 8/10. I greatly enjoyed the first playthrough, despite the mostly lack of challenges. Exploration was my primary source of enjoyment, as in all PB games. My favorite moment was exploring Calador for the first time, and I loved the Guardian camp on Taranis as well.
    Nikolai81 ist offline Geändert von Nikolai81 (24.09.2014 um 00:59 Uhr) Grund: Removed signature

12. #12 Zitieren
    Knight Avatar von Dez
    So I said in December to post my thoughts on risen 3 once I had finished it. Well life got busy and I had to put risen 3 on hold for few weeks. I finally managed to finish risen 3 in saturday - sunday night and here is my verdict. This is going to be a wall of text post, so if you're in a hurry and just want to know how I voted, I will tell you that I rated Risen "satisfactory". I've been playing piranha bytes games since gothic 1 and i've have enjoyed exploring each of these gameworlds. R3 is no expection from the rule, but it isn't their crowning achievement.

For me the grade of "satisfactory" equals roughly to 2.5 / 6/10 depending which review scale one prefers. This game is almost 7/10 and If balance issues had been fixed with a patch, the score would have been 3/5 - 3.5/5 or 7/10 - 8/10.

Sound

I found no huge issues with risen 3's audio. For instance voice acting stayed remarkably pleasant most of the time. However I think the actor playing main character tried too much to sound like a bad ass. I prefered the old nameless hero from risen 1. Patty's cursing should have been toned down a notch too. Hearing her shouting "fucking monsters!" all the time... Patty from risen 1 or risen 2 didn't speak like that. I''m no faint hearted when it comes to dirty language (one of my favourite tv series is deadwood), but swearing has to feel belivable. Jaffar for example is a well writen character and I chuckled every time the little fella opened his potty mouth.

As for music: Both the main theme and the "victory theme" (the one you hear when you open a teleport) got my heart bumping in similar way than morrowind main theme does. So hats off to the audio guy! Still the music score as a whole was not as memorable as the ones in gothic 3 or risen1. Kairo is surely missed. Hopefully you'll get him aboard for your next project.

I have to mention that i'd have also prefered hearing more ambient sounds. Sometimes the soundscape of gameworld felt a bit too silent. Its not only the nature sounds i'm refering to, but also locations like the tavern in antiqua could have used more ambient sounds. There could have been a bard playing lute and pirates singing drinking songs etc. Native village could have also had natives drumming and singing at the night time.

Score: 7/10

Visuals

The game is quite gorgeous to look at. There is just so much detail everywhere and every location (besides shadow realms) was vibrant and colourfull. Risen engine may not have the latest graphical trics on it's sleeve, but there is plenty of eye candy. Great job over all.

Animations on the other hand are average quality if compared to other games in this genre. Some of the sword fighting animations for instance leave a lot of room for improvement. I loved the magic kung fu moves though. Very stylish and cracefull! Piranha Bytes have gotten a lot better with facial animations too. The other highlight of this game animation wise were definitely gnomes. Who ever designed and animated them, deserves a bonus.

Gameworld design

Risen 3 has a massive vast gameworld and it was a pure joy for me to explore it. Vast open lifelike gameworld is the hallmark feauture of every piranha bytes game. Each island had a distinct theme and each island was designed in an organic manner and they were belivable in their own setting.

So yes, Risen 3 gameworld was an improvement to risen2's linear world design. Climbing, swimming and flying were great additions to the game and maps didn't seem so linear corridoors anymore. The world felt more real as it was shaped more naturally. My favourite places were the skull island (volcano island) at the end, Taranis (Mages' island full of magical energy) and Calador (demon hunter's island full of ancient ruins).

And If I had to choose my favourite island, it would have to be Taranis. Mage camp and the mines were full of life..island was full of secrets and mystery. Everything just made sense Which is why i joined guardians

I noticed couple of annoying invicible borders like the huge lava river in Calador, but over all the gameworld was open for exploration. I get that developers wanted to limit player's ability to explore Calador before chapter 3, but they could have found a better solution, like using a magical barrier as obstacle instead of an invicible barrier.

There were also few other issues. Some of these locations were quite lightly populated. For instance the harbour area in Taranis felt quite lifeless. Why were there only so few workers? Where were all the drunks, whores, fishermen and sailors whom you typically find in such places? The worst offender was the Kila village which had only few natives present. A dissapointment compared to native villages in risen2. Or how about the famous tavern in Calador which should have been full of patrons and adventurers from all over the world seeking fame & fortune. Ok these are small issues, but maybe something to keep in mind while designing your next game

Lastly one thing which kind of bothered me was the small number of female characters. I can understand that there weren't many female pirates and guardians & demon hunters were likely somewhat old fashioned as well, but didn't these guys have wives or mistresses? And couldn't have there been more females in native village? These are small things, but God is in the details!

In parrallel Khorinis in gothic 2 felt like a real harbour town, because there weren't only militia men and paladins, but also ordinary common citizens, traders. hunters, whores, drunks, thugs, inkeepers, nobles etc - both male and female. Same goes for the harbour town in risen 1.

Score: 7.5/10

Story, dialog and companions

I liked the idea of a soul and duality. I think the duality of a soul added an extra layer of depth to my risen 3 experience. Alteast it gently pushed to me think a bit what kind of character i was playing. I raise my hat for the effort!

However the consequences of acting either towards good or evil remained entirely vague to me. Only thing I noticed was that I slept better (less shadow attacks) and Mendoza's ghost took off because i was being such an idealist. I wish this soul thing had more significance to the game. Maybe companions could have voiced their opinions more? If thinking d&d terms, this is how i see companions in risen 3:

Edward - Lawfull good
    Patty - Chaotic good
    Saddic - Lawfull neutral
    Bones - neutral (as doesn't really have a prefence to how player should act)
    Jaffar - chaotic neutral
    Mendoza - lawfull evil
    Horas - neutral evil (seems like a chaotic good character first though!)

So I think the concept of soul and having your own crew was great, but the actual implementation of those ideas fell short. There should have been more dialog with companions and conflicts of intrests. Ofcourse if you take previous game into account, patty, bones, mendoza and jaffar do have rich backstories, but we never really got to know our new companions. Edward for instance had the most intresting sidestory of all companion and i'm somewhat tempted to replay this game as a demon hunter just because of him and i wish you could have get to know him better.

So I tried to take the soul value seriously and wanted to keep my humanity hight all times, but it felt way to easy to stay away from the path of darkness. I think piranha bytes should take more risks next time and not play it so safe. Blur the lines of good&evil more.

As far as the main story goes, it was a generic fantasy tale - a blend of story ideas from risen 1 and risen 2. For my surprise the said combination worked, but main story was nothing to write a home about. Every risen game has more or less been own kind of experience. In merit of risen 3 it must be said that game didn't bring up new issues with continuity. They actually tried to fit ideas from risen 2 with risen 1 and it worked ok.

Score: 6/10

Quests & minigames

I won't write many words here, since I enjoyed questing in risen 3. And even if the quest itself was simple (deliver a letter from Caldera to Antiqua), it was fun to finish, because the npcs were intresting and the quest usually provided some backround information about them or the gameworld.

Combat, skills & Character development

I've already mentioned elsewhere on this forum about the severe balance issues. The game is simply too easy and thus it lacks challange. I understand that it is a difficult task to balance an open world game. Make it too hard and many casuals will cry themselves to sleep. Make it too easy and veterans will complain.

Still I feel strongly that piranha bytes dropped the ball here. Was there ever a genuine attempt to offer the veteran player a good enjoyable challange? In fact this feels quite surreal as they implemented various difficulty levels which seemed to have very little effect on game's actual difficulty!

I think the balance issues are partly derived from the horrible melee combat system (unkillable companions didn't help much there either). I don't understand why piranha bytes keeps stumbling on this issue so much. Gothic 2 and risen 1 had likely some of the most balanced combat systems i've seen in actions rpgs and yet they changed them in gothic 3 and in risen 2.

The huge problem with risen 3's system is that every melee attack is auto aimed to enemy and how rolling move protects player from damage without any cost. Rolling on the battlefield constantly looks rather stupid and realisticly it would put the fighter more often on harms way rather than protecting him. And when player is wearing heavy armor, it seems even more unrealistic..

Jeez... I don't know how I should advice pbs here. They just need to put more thought on the combat system next time, like studying the real life fighting techniques and doing proper research. Draw inspiration from history rather than just making things up.

As for ranged combat, dirty tricks or three different magic schools... Well those had no similar issues as melee combat system. I loved the "kung fu" moves I could do with melee spells. A cool innovation there. Getting rid of mana potions was a clever idea too. Magic was quite overpowered, but the problem could have been easily fixed.

The balance would have been better if enemies for instance were more resistant to magical attacks and if some of the more powerfull spells (firerain for example) had longer casting times. Maybe implementing some kind of casting requirements could have been a good idea to prevent player for getting his hands on best spells too early. In gothic 2 for example a fire rain spell was a sixth circle spell that required great number of mana from the caster. In risen 3 fire rain can be casted by anyone who knows basics about crystal magic.

I think over all risen 3 skills system is a good alternative to gothic's experience based system. You still collect glory (experience) and spend it on atributes. And then you seek teachers and pay gold for new skills.

Score: 6/10

Closing remarks

Over all I enjoyed playing R3. It was a fun game to play despite generic story or balance issues.

But was it better than risen 2 or risen 1?

I think risen 1 remains still a superior game in terms of setting and gameplay. And like we know Risen 2 went to a whole different direction. It was more like a spin off project rather than a sequel to Risen 1. I personally didn't enjoy risen 2 as much as I enjoyed playing risen 1 due to numerious gameplay related issues, but I admit that Risen 2's pirate setting drew me in and I had great time exploring risen2's gameworld. Sadly because the game felt so different it had all sorts of continuity issues which tarnished the experience for me.

In Risen 3 piranha bytes tried to melt these two very different settings and design ideas together. To my surprise the attempt wasn't a complete failure and in some ways the game is a clear improvement to previous risen games. However because the foundation the was born from these conflicting design ideas, it didn't feel as cohesive as previous risen games.

If comparing to risen1: Risen 2 was one step forward and two steps back, then Risen 3 is two steps forward and one step back.

Final score: 6,8 -> Satisfactory
    Dez ist offline Geändert von Dez (28.01.2015 um 14:26 Uhr) Grund: typos etc

13. #13 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo
    'Sup people.

Eh, I'll go with barely "satisfactory". Which is fine, I play cRPGs to feel satisfied, but fucking hell, why does PB/DS insist on forteiting the minimal extra effort to have a really good ARPG?

Initially my post was just a quick middle finger to the game, but that wasn't fair nor useful. There are good and bad things about R3.

The level design is actually pretty nice and doesn't feel as tubular as R2. Each island has a different "feel". And there is a good amount to explore between all the islands. For the most part there's all kinds of directions to go and something to do or find in (almost) every island. And the quests are good enough an excuse to romp through the world.

The combat was a bit crappy mostly for one reason. The dodge mechanic. You have infinite invincibility frames while dodging and no restriction on it, unless you play on Ultra difficulty, where dodge has no invincibility frames at all, in which case you're unlikely to ever dodge anything effectively, since everything in this game leaps like a cheetah on bath salts. Additionally, there are killcams, unnecessary and too frequent. If they were special moves for extra damage, that would have been fine, but I don't like that they're triggered when the enemy would die anyway. Like I said, unnecessary. And they don't look that good either. The rest of combat is basically similar to R2 except everything is a leaping cheetah, except magic is actually kinda cool, what with a different magic path for each faction and a mixture of hotbar spell effects and a "primary attack" spell that kinda works like a magical melee/short range attack, you know, allowing for meleeish combos or manual aiming. Magic is all about managing your primary attack while burning through your hotbar layout, yet never actually devolving into MMORPG garbage. I dunno, it's simple and it works well enough. I wouldn't mind if the next game would simply improve the magic gameplay of R3. Other than that, at the beginning you feel like you have to rely on a companion to do the killing until a certain point in the game when suddenly most enemies can't even scratch you. Even scary ones on Ultra. Neither situation is cathartic and the sweet spot in-between those stages is quite short lived.

Story... story... basically a Titan needs to be slayed again. Which is to be expected, what else is there to do for a hero in the world of Risen? The hero (a new hero, one of Steelbeard's bastards, who fancies himself the pirate Batman and isn't nearly as nameless as tradition demands) loses his soul at the beginning of the game but that doesn't really matter too much. You need to unite factions to fight the Titan, but that doesn't matter that much either. That's fine, if you excel in storytelling and presentation, you don't need much of a premise, but I don't think they pulled it off. I was more interested in killing everything on my path than seeing where the path was leading. And those R2/R3 cutscenes, though. PB really needs to step up its game in that department. As a side note, I was almost disappointed that the Nameless Hero from R1/2 didn't even get to bone Patty after all the shit he had to bear through and the frequent implications of sexual tension between them, but seeing/hearing her R3 incarnation, I'd say that was for the best. Instead he popped up as a NPC and got drunk with Steelbeard's bastard towards the end of the game, and I don't know what happened then. Everything faded to black. Mmh, a bit like in the brothel in R1. Food for thought.

The soundtrack is just there. Nothing bad but nothing too memorable. R2's main theme was a pretty nice "time to set sail and pursue even more epic shit, BTW you're a pirate now" remix of R1's theme. It was a lie/artistic license, but that's immaterial. R3 tried a new theme and it kinda failed with me on the memorability scale. I find that OSTs are dependent on the main theme and R3's was no exception, the entire OST felt as underwhelming as its main refrain, unfortunately.

The ship sections coming out of left-field where you hunt sea monsters on your stupidly fast ship or fight a few enemies on deck and call it a ship battle, I didn't hate them too much but I could have just as well done without them. The minigames, eh, whatever, I don't give a damn one way or the other.
    Bastardo ist offline Geändert von Bastardo (30.04.2015 um 23:00 Uhr)

14. #14 Zitieren
    Knight Commander Avatar von Bamfy
    Zitat Zitat von catalinux Beitrag anzeigen
    You remember Moe from Gothic 2? He is back, and he still doesn't want to let you into a tavern, unless you pay him gold. You remember how in Gothic 2 it was impossible to defeat him until much later in the game, until you gain same strength, and a better weapon? Well, in Risen 3 you can defeat him with you eyes closed. This is how much melee combat in Risen 3 sucks.
    That's a bit harsh. Beating Moe from lvl 1 was quite easy, just needed patience. You could beat orc elite from the moment you picked a two hander with big range(fighting pike) so one could argue G2 combat system sucks as well.
    Bamfy ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Bamfy Beitrag anzeigen
    That's a bit harsh. Beating Moe from lvl 1 was quite easy, just needed patience.
    It wasn't. At level 1, you coudn't even block his attack, and he would defeat you with a single hit. Maybe you could lure him to same secluded place, and use magic spells (ice block in particular), but with a melee weapon it was impossible.

Same for the Orc Elite, or even an ordinary orc - you couldn't even damage them until you gained more strenght or dexterity.

While in Risen 3, at level 1, with an ordinary weapon, some patience and a lot of rolling, you could kill almost any enemy. You could survive any encounter. My point is that Risen 3 was too easy in terms of combat. Same as Gothic 3 and Risen 2.
    catalinux ist offline

16. #16 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    It wasn't. At level 1, you coudn't even block his attack, and he would defeat you with a single hit. Maybe you could lure him to same secluded place, and use magic spells (ice block in particular), but with a melee weapon it was impossible.

Same for the Orc Elite, or even an ordinary orc - you couldn't even damage them until you gained more strenght or dexterity.
    False. G2, at least NotR, had an exploit: if you back stepped, you were invincible, blocking anything. And there was a minimum damage you could inflict on an opponent. I beat the black troll at level 1 (cheated my way there) just by staying behind him and hitting tens/hundreds of times.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

17. #17 Zitieren
    Okay, take the belt from xardas and you get 15 str. Get fighting pike and swing left and right. GG the orc elite will always charge at you. It takes a lot, but you can take him down.
    You can take down dragon snapper at level 1 as well. Back when he charges at you so you block his attack, hit him fast 2 times, back again, 2 times hit, back etc.
    With patience and good timing you can beat almost anything at level 1.
    Bamfy ist offline Geändert von Bamfy (11.07.2015 um 09:32 Uhr)

18. #18 Zitieren
    After so many years I still learn something I didn't knew about Gothics... Indeed, I just checked it, if you keep blocking you get no damage, and with the right timing you can defeat almost anything.
    Add to this some Combat in 1H or 2H, and this game is almost too easy.
    catalinux ist offline

19. #19 Zitieren
    After so many years I still learn something I didn't knew about Gothics.
    Tell me about it. I didn't know the orc cemetary from G1 had an upper section untill last month when I replayed it.
    Bamfy ist offline

20. #20 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Bamfy Beitrag anzeigen
    Tell me about it. I didn't know the orc cemetary from G1 had an upper section untill last month when I replayed it.
    What upper section?
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »