Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 12 von 12
  1. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Pumpkins fly free  Avatar von Freddy

Freddy ist offline

[Compendium] Developing a Gothic-Mod (sure for a long time in progress ;))

What is the purpose of this thread? It should be a help for people who want to lern the Gothic-modding. I don't want to translate the german Editing-WiKi. I don't have the time to do it. But... Everytime I will give a description for something, I will do it elaborately and post it here. Every other modder is invited to do it too. I really don't know everything.
    The topics must not be postet in the right order. You will reach every point by using the links in this post.

Please post question or suggestions in the seperate discussion thread.

General overview

Installation (What files do I need and where to put them)

Gothic 1 Modkit
    Gothic 2 NotR Modkit

Creating landscapes (Levelmesh)

Creating a level (How to use the Spacer)

The Editor Mode
    Mesh manipulation
    Texturing

The Zen
    Vob
    Light
    Sound
    Music
    Trigger
    Mover

Scripts

Syntax and general stuff
    Some internal stuff - Classes
    C_NPC Class
    C_Mission Class
    C_Item Class
    C_Info Class
    C_Spell Class
    External functions

Speech

Building a mod-volume
    Geändert von rockfest (07.08.2006 um 00:39 Uhr)

2. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #2

Freddy ist offline

Overview

You are interested in creating a Gothic modification? Good!

Let me tell you something about it. There are some different things to do.

The story

At first you should have an idea what will happen in your mod. This cannot be told in a few lines.
    • What is the main plot?
      Where does the story play? Who are the enemies? What`s the main task?
    • Who is the hero?
      Think about his history. What character does he have. What is his motivation to follow the plot?
    • What places should be visited?
    • What important people will the hero meet?

If you have these points, you can start work on the other parts (or give this work to somebody else )
    Now you have to develop your more detailed: Main quests, NPCs, dialogues, subquests.

Don`t underestimate the work a story writer has to do!

The Levelmesh

You need a 3D-tool to create the main landscape of your mod.
    • The main landscape (where the hero walks)
    • Mountains
    • Rivers, the sea
    • Big objects like houses, large trees etc.

The Spacer

The Spacer is the main gothic modding tool. With it you can manipulate the mesh (only for small corrections suitable) and texture it.
    After this you fill your world with different kinds of Vobs (virtual objects), the most important:
    • Standard-Vobs: trees, plants, stones, furniture
    • Mobs: these are interactive objects like switches, chests, beds
    • Light: Place light-vobs to brighten dark places in a colour of your choice
    • Sound: Set zones where special sounds are played when the player enters them (birds, wind, fire, water..)
    • Music: define in which area which music is played
    • Trigger: What happens when the player enters a special area or push a button? (for example spikes appear and hurt the hero)
    • Mover: move objects to bring more life into your mod (spikes , gates, every other object possible)

The Spacer is also needed to compile your scripts and dialogues.

Scripts

Gothic has an own programming language called Daedalus. With it you implement your story. For example:
    • define Items
    • set monsters and NPCs into the world
    • define actions and behavour of NPCs and monsters
    • create dialogues

These are the most important parts. If you want to, you can create new sounds, graphics, objects or even monsters.

3. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #3

Freddy ist offline

Installation of the Gothic 1 Modkit

Installation of the Gothic 1 ModKit

Preparing Gothic

At first you need a gothic version of at least 1.08h (the international version should have version 1.08j - I think).

Install it. Then copy this installation to another folder. The reason is that you should not really play with a ModKit-installation. Myterious errors can occur. Also you cannot test you mod volume properly (if files are missing or something like that). You should do this with a "clean" installation.

What files do I need?

Installation
    Create a folder outside you Gothic directory.
    • Unzip Gothic Mod Kit there. You get a folder named "GOTHIC MOD Development Kit". Copy the content of it`s subfolder "gothic" (_work, system, vdfs.cfg) to the Gothic-Folder of your copy. Confirm the question to overwrite the the folders.
    • Create the folder "textures" under [Gothic]\_work\data\ and a folder named "_compiled" under "[Gothic]\_work\data\textures"
    • Unzip the Spacer Update and copy the files "ready.wav" and "spacer.exe" to the folder [Gothic]\system\
    • Download the new GothicStarter 2.6a for Gothic 1 and 2 (Some bugs of the old starter are fixed.) Copy the content of the archive to your Gothic-folder. Now set a link on your desktop to file "GothicStarter_mod.exe" ([Gothic\system\).
    • You may need the MATLIB too. It adds all Gothic 1 textures to the material filter from the spacer (now you can select them easyly for texturing) and their properties (very important for animated textures like water).
      Extract the content of the archive into the folder [Gothic]\_work\tools\data\. Start the spacer (more later) and select "Settings\load a Materialfilter...". Import every ".pml" - file into the spacer.

Other useful files
    • The Vobbilder Katalog contains images of all Vobs in Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. This enables you to pick easily the Vob you want to insert into the world. You`ll just have to copy the filename from the catalogue and paste it at the point "visual" of your Vob.
      To use it, extract the volume in a folder you like and doubleclick the file "vobbilder.htm".
    • Use GoMan to convert textures from the tga-format to gothic .tex and vice versa.
    Geändert von Freddy (08.07.2006 um 23:11 Uhr)

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Chosen One Avatar von rockfest

rockfest ist offline
    Scripts

Syntax and general stuff

As you already read Gothic has a built-in scripting language. What's the syntax? Differences between Daedalus and other scripting or programming languages?
    You can read all this in wiki.

Even if it said that if you don't know programming you can still be a scripter I say that if you don't know what are :
    • constants
    • variables
    • functions and parameters
    • etc

then you should get a book about programming(basicaly any language you would like but to make it easier a C/C++ book) and read it.
    Why? Daedalus is not the most flexibile scripting language. It's purpose is to give life to the Gothic world and it does nothing more than that.
    In order to manage with Daedalus you will only need some basic programming skills.
    If you know how HTML works and some C/C++ or Pascal then you will get along just fine.

So, if you already know the things i said by now then you should have no problem reading the things that come.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Apprentice Avatar von TanisRedmora

TanisRedmora ist offline

Can't see the tree for the fortest

Now when you say:

''Create the folder "textures" under [Gothic]\_work\data\ and a folder named "_compiled" under "[Gothic]\_work\data\textures" ''

is that in the gothic forlder (my copy of the game) or in the GOTHIC MOD Development Kit folder you said to create? Both have the directories
    [Gothic]\_work\data.

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Deus Avatar von WernerTWC

WernerTWC ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von TanisRedmora Beitrag anzeigen
    Now when you say:

''Create the folder "textures" under [Gothic]\_work\data\ and a folder named "_compiled" under "[Gothic]\_work\data\textures" ''

is that in the gothic forlder (my copy of the game) or in the GOTHIC MOD Development Kit folder you said to create? Both have the directories
    [Gothic]\_work\data.
    Hi and §welcome to the forum!

Please explain what you are planning, because the thingy with "_compiled" is for gothic 3, the dev-kit is for g2 or g1.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Adventurer Avatar von Takashy

Takashy ist offline
    I want to know if there is anyway to use the modkit in english for Gothic 1, the German menus as well as the German dialogue options in-game are really not understandable at all.

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Deus Avatar von WernerTWC

WernerTWC ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Takashy Beitrag anzeigen
    I want to know if there is anyway to use the modkit in english for Gothic 1, the German menus as well as the German dialogue options in-game are really not understandable at all.
    For g1 there are english original scripts, here they are:
    http://www.worldofgothic.de/modifika...iew&fileID=216

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Adventurer Avatar von Takashy

Takashy ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von WernerTWC Beitrag anzeigen
    For g1 there are english original scripts, here they are:
    http://www.worldofgothic.de/modifika...iew&fileID=216
    OMFG, you are a life saver. May you win the lottery!

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Rookie

Eoron ist offline
    Hi respected Modders!
    I'm a real newbie with gothic modding, and sadly i don't know any programming language, but i'd like to modify Gothic, or actually an existing gothic-mod.

I play the game with hungarian subtitles, it's a 100% translation, but i would like to
    use NoName mod as well. However when i install the mod, the hungarian text changes back to english, also at the unchanged parts of the game.

I'd like to know how can i translate the game's text again and the mod's text, or simply just turn back the already translated text to hungarian?

Thanks for reading and help!

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Rookie

Eoron ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von WernerTWC Beitrag anzeigen
    Hi!

Maybe this topic could help you:
    http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum...1&#post4032941
    Thanks for the link, i read the whole thread, but i couldn't find any solution, how can i edit the text, but i asked there. I hope they can tell me that.

Thanks again
    Geändert von Eoron (28.11.2008 um 01:02 Uhr)