Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Adventurer

leroy1985 ist offline

gothic 3 crashes using ultra ini, i have 8gb, not using more than 4gb?

why with the ultra ini does gothic crash and complain about ram, i allways thought that 32 bit apps couldnt ever use more then 4gb ram, but the creaters of the ini, say it can use 5gb ram and you need alot of ram, i dont understand is there something i have to do to make it use more than 4gb, i have 8gb, total. not much installed apart from skyrim and gothic 3 and a couple others programs.

windows 7 64
    ssd m4 crucail
    i5 310 quad sandrbridge
    hd 6950 2gb overclocked to 880 core 1300 mem
    8gb gskill
    600 watt psu corsair

in the report it says something about not enough ram pretty much.

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Ehrengarde

Dimus ist offline
    Yes, all 32-bit applications (like Gothic 3) can't use more than 4 GB virtual memory even on 64-bit Windows because they can address up to 2^32 bytes only.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Wasn't there supposed to be a flag for the executable (Large Address Aware, or some such) on x64 systems to allow the games to use more memory?
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Ehrengarde

Dimus ist offline
    @Nisarg:
    It seems that you should learn a lots of technical information:
    Spoiler:(zum lesen bitte Text markieren)
    1. All Windows applications operates with a virtual memory because the real RAM can be managed by OS only.
    2. The LARGE ADDRESS AWARE flag is intended for other purposes. By default all Windows versions treat all memory pointers as signed long that allows 32-bit application to use up to 2^31 bytes of the virtual memory (i.e. 2 GB). For application with this flag OS starts to treat memory pointers as unsigned long that expands address range to 2^32 bytes (4 GB).
    3. Addresses above 4 GB real RAM can be managed by the server or 64-bit OS versions only because in them physical addresses extension (PAE) feature works correctly. PAE doesn't work as it should be at 32-bit client OS versions because of compatibility problems with the old drivers which requires a direct access to the I/O ports of the various devices located in an addresses range 3.5 - 4 GB. Therefore these OS can use up to 3.5 GB of real RAM only.
    Geändert von Dimus (06.05.2012 um 18:43 Uhr)

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Knight Commander

Nisarg ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Dimus Beitrag anzeigen
    2. The LARGE ADDRESS AWARE flag is intended for other purposes. By default all Windows versions treat all memory pointers as signed long that allows 32-bit application to use up to 2^31 bytes of the virtual memory (i.e. 2 GB). For application with this flag OS starts to treat memory pointers as unsigned long that expands address range to 2^32 bytes (4 GB).
    Ah, I see. I thought that the LAA treated pointers as unsigned 64 bit integers instead of unsigned 32 bit integers. It's news to me that pointers are signed by default.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]