Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Ergebnis 1 bis 18 von 18
  1. #1 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Hello!

Inspired by recent discussions in the German forum, I decided to create a “glossary for younger gamers” so that they can look up what we old geezers mean when we talk about roleplaying games in the good old days.

Excerpt:
    Addon
    An addon is kinda like a super-extensive, huge Mega-DLC. But it does not just flange a few carelessly written quests and items onto the game. Or provides elements that should have come with the original game in the first place. No, it really adds content. A lot of it. Think of “play time” times 1.5. It integrates seamlessly into the game and usually comes on DVD (because it’s so huge). Yes, children, stuff like that really existed back in the good old days. Go ask your parents if you don’t believe me.

Complete version: http://foobarrant.fo.funpic.de/index.php/Main/Glossary

This thread is dedicated to your contributions. Help to create a Rosetta Stone with which future generations will be able to translate our conversations archived in this forum and elsewhere!

PS: Just to be on the safe side, I reserve the right not to add something or make changes. Your post here in the forum will remain, however.
    foobar ist gerade online

2. #2 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Experience points (xp): In the good ol' days, once you killed something or did an action considered reward-worthy by the developer, numbers popped up on your screen, letting you know the progress you made on your way to a new level. Each beast you killed, or any important action, such as quest solving, granted the player a larger or smaller number of experience points. The level increased once you reached a certain fixed number. This allowed the developer to better balance the game and offer you, the player, a better gaming experience. (see also Learning Points)

Learning Points: There was a time when simply spamming the use of perks didn't grant you a level up or an increase in abilities. No, sir, you had to work hard to increase your attributes and slowly carve a character to your liking. The skills were many, the learning points were few, so you had quite a challenge before you. Nothing was easy and the best combat tactic was running. As in the case of the Experience Points, this helped the developers better balance the game, giving you a fun and at the same time challenging game.

Combat Tactic: Combat meant more than just hitting left click. You could perform different moves, triggered by a keyboard/mouse combination, which in the end resulted in combos. You actually felt like achieving something each time you killed a new type of enemy.

Stats: Back in the day RPGs were all about numbers. You had pages and pages full of skills, perks, attributes, abilities, each with it's own level. You could create each time a brand new character, and you could be sure there were few people in the world with a character similar to yours. The skill tree meant more than two skill branches with a common point, each point with 1-5 levels. In the old days each skill was open for improving again and again, often times in percentage%, and the skill tree meant a lot of different branches opened for extreme customization.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    Sword Master Avatar von Mage Master
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    Experience points (xp): In the good ol' days, once you killed something or did an action considered reward-worthy by the developer, numbers popped up on your screen, letting you know the progress you made on your way to a new level. Each beast you killed, or any important action, such as quest solving, granted the player a larger or smaller number of experience points. The level increased once you reached a certain fixed number. This allowed the developer to better balance the game and offer you, the player, a better gaming experience. (see also Learning Points)

Learning Points: There was a time when simply spamming the use of perks didn't grant you a level up or an increase in abilities. No, sir, you had to work hard to increase your attributes and slowly carve a character to your liking. The skills were many, the learning points were few, so you had quite a challenge before you. Nothing was easy and the best combat tactic was running. As in the case of the Experience Points, this helped the developers better balance the game, giving you a fun and at the same time challenging game.

Combat Tactic: Combat meant more than just hitting left click. You could perform different moves, triggered by a keyboard/mouse combination, which in the end resulted in combos. You actually felt like achieving something each time you killed a new type of enemy.

Stats: Back in the day RPGs were all about numbers. You had pages and pages full of skills, perks, attributes, abilities, each with it's own level. You could create each time a brand new character, and you could be sure there were few people in the world with a character similar to yours. The skill tree meant more than two skill branches with a common point, each point with 1-5 levels. In the old days each skill was open for improving again and again, often times in percentage%, and the skill tree meant a lot of different branches opened for extreme customization.
    Wait, those are considered old stuff? The bagilion pages stats is something old RPGs had(as far as I know), but the rest, I thought that was one of the main mechanics of RPGs, maybe except the combat since there different type of RPGs.
    Mage Master ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren
    General Avatar von ICFabian
    That's unbelievably cruel, condescending and patronising.
    ICFabian ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren

Zitat Zitat von Faby Beitrag anzeigen
    That's unbelievably cruel, condescending and patronising.
    Towards whom?
    foobar ist gerade online

6. #6 Zitieren
    General Avatar von ICFabian
    Everyone who can draw breath but the writer himself, apparently. And his fawning little bitch :P
    ICFabian ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren

I see. No sense of humour there, then.

Please refrain from insults in the forum.
    foobar ist gerade online

8. #8 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von AshleyG
    People didn't get it was a joke....it's kind of depressing....there's no more rpg's
    Diablo 3 is gonna save us all !!!
    AshleyG ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Mage Master Beitrag anzeigen
    Wait, those are considered old stuff? The bagilion pages stats is something old RPGs had(as far as I know), but the rest, I thought that was one of the main mechanics of RPGs, maybe except the combat since there different type of RPGs.
    Well, Skyrim didn't really have those. And as that game is and will be a trend setter, I think some elements are on their way of becoming just memories.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

10. #10 Zitieren
    Well, Skyrim didn't really have those. And as that game is and will be a trend setter, I think some elements are on their way of becoming just memories.
    So skyrim is the ultimate and only defenition of new RPGs? What about Mass Effect, The Witcher, Risen, Dragon Age and others I can't think of now, oh yeah, Torchlight and as someone above mention Diablo. I'm talking about their latest or still to come sequels or whatever, aren't they all "new RPGs"?

Of course some stuff will disappear but you are over reacting with skyrim.
    Mage Master ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    Combat also meant, erm, whaddyou-call-it, strategy. Yeas, that's right. You actually had to know what weapon or skill works best against whom. Shooting arrows into skeletons didn't have the effect you hoped for (or anything particularly noticeable for that matter). Nor did shooting fireballs into fire elementals. And when confronted with a variety of enemies, you actually had to (gasp) think! Think which member of the party would be best against which enemy. Like maybe that guy with high magic resistance should take on the mean looking mage. Or decide whether your mage should focus on keeping the party alive or try to slay as many foes as possible.

Oh, and pausing the game was a merciful permission to alter your (presumably failing) tactics, not time to capture some fancy screenshots.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline

12. #12 Zitieren

I added:

A place in the world which you had to find (see: Achievement). Usually by looking at something called a map (see: Map). You were not automatically guided towards it by blinking lights. Good games would help you find locations by means of story telling.

Map
    A virtual piece of paper that showed you a topographical representation of the area and possibly your own location and bearing. It was not magically teleported into your inventory. Instead, you had to find or buy it first. The map did not contain markers for quest objectives or revealed enemy locations and was used as an actual way-finding tool. You had to read it and use basic orientation skills to translate it into travelling directions in the game world (see: Achievement).
    foobar ist gerade online

13. #13 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Zitat Zitat von Mage Master Beitrag anzeigen
    The Witcher, Dragon Age
    The first one imo sucks. The second one is just a glorified movie, not a game.
    Maladiq ist offline

14. #14 Zitieren
    Veteran Avatar von Aetherian
    The Witcher is a good game, the lack of free roaming (invisible walls) and the combat (timed clicks) is what put me off in the beginning, but the story and overall atmosphere of the game is what kept drawing me in back to it again and again. Eventually I came to enjoy the game as it is and look past the rough edges, as there is a lot to the game to love.

As for Dragon Age, __________. Fill in the blank however you please.
    Aetherian ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Zitat Zitat von Aetherian Beitrag anzeigen
    The Witcher is a good game, the lack of free roaming (invisible walls) and the combat (timed clicks) is what put me off in the beginning, but the story and overall atmosphere of the game is what kept drawing me in back to it again and again. Eventually I came to enjoy the game as it is and look past the rough edges, as there is a lot to the game to love.

As for Dragon Age, __________. Fill in the blank however you please.
    The first one imo sucks. The second one is just a glorified movie, not a game.
    You are both missing the point, it's not about the game being good or anything, it's that they are relatively new and are considered RPGs so they are new RPGs. And if you have actually read my post you wound know I said the latest in the series, even tough in a different way.

As for the actual topic, I don't think I have much to say. I don't consider my self an old-school RPG-er(??)
    Mage Master ist offline

16. #16 Zitieren

Immersion
    Also known as: “What the heck! It’s that late already?! What happened to the time?!
    Immersion was the feeling that you are not playing a game but really are part of the game. It drew you in and let you forget the real world around you. To achieve that goal, good games tried to avoid anything that would remind the player of the fact that this was a computer game. Things like quest markers, mini-maps, floating signs above the heads of NPCs and many other illogical alleged “helpers” were actually considered counter-productive. Help, if necessary, had to come from within the game world (see also: The Comfort Lie). That required some real work for the developers, my dear children. They didn’t just do fancy graphics and cutscenes and console optimisations back in those days!
    foobar ist gerade online

17. #17 Zitieren
    Demigod Avatar von Dino
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    Immersion
    Also known as: “What the heck! It’s that late already?! What happened to the time?!
    Immersion was the feeling that you are not playing a game but really are part of the game. It drew you in and let you forget the real world around you. To achieve that goal, good games tried to avoid anything that would remind the player of the fact that this was a computer game. [Things like quest markers, mini-maps, floating signs above the heads of NPCs and many other illogical alleged “helpers” were actually considered counter-productive. Help, if necessary, had to come from within the game world (see also: The Comfort Lie). That required some real work for the developers, my dear children. They didn’t just do fancy graphics and cutscenes and console optimisations back in those days!
    This for me was probably the most important part when playing an RPG. I wanted to feel as if though I really am a part of the game and not just controling a toon.
    I mean... that's what RPGs were all about, right? Role-Playing Game. It's kind of the point of it
    Nowadays it's all about having a maxed out gear, pretty graphics aaaaaand yes that's all. I don't feel like a part of anything in new games. That sucks.
    Dino ist offline

18. #18 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von AshleyG
    Oh yeah, I remember when I played Gothic 1&2, thinking damn it's sunny, and all of a sudden I would realise it's 10pm and dark in the real world lol
    AshleyG ist offline