Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Ergebnis 1 bis 15 von 15
  1. #1 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    I am looking for a good antivirus program, which can protect me from all kinds of internet threats. Could you please recommend me something which brings the best results? I don't care if it is free or not, but a free one would be welcome.

For several years I didn't give a crap about threats, just reinstalling windows now and again, but I think an antivirus program would be the best choice.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

2. #2 Zitieren
    Veteran Avatar von Aetherian
    I used AVG Free AV for years but I switched over to Avast, which is also free, about a couple years ago and like it much better than AVG which gave me a lot of false positives.

For spyware/trojans I recommend SUPERAntiSpyware, the free version doesn't stay in memory for a real-time guard, but the scanner is very good.

If you want a good list of rated freeware software, check this site out.
    Aetherian ist offline

3. #3 Zitieren
    banned
    Out of the free antivirus, I used Avast, Avira and AVG and I'd recommend you either of those, they're all pretty efficient. If you want to buy one, go for Kasperky or Norton.
    Assassin of Kings ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Zitat Zitat von Maladiq Beitrag anzeigen
    I am looking for a good antivirus program, which can protect me from all kinds of internet threats.
    First of all: You need to secure your system. An AV program cannot replace good system maintenance. Install all patches for Windows and all apps, don't work as administrator, don't click on everything that's not on the trees at the count of three and restrict your Webbrowser scripting (e.g. NoScript).

Once that is done, you may additionally use an AV program. But you should be aware of the trade-offs and problems you can get. They are not reliable (you'll get false positives and false negatives), they use system resources, they themselves can become an attack vector, their "alerts" won't do you any good if you don't know what to do about it, etc. etc.

There are basically four AV programs available without pay:
    • ClamAV (free GPL version, only on-demand scanner)
    • AVG Free
    • Avira AntiVir Personal
    • Microsoft Security Essentials

If you want something free, I'd recommend MSE. They're free, relatively lean, on-access, no advertising (AVG and Avira nag you about upgrades) and they seem to work.

A problem I encountered with many recent AV programs is that they want to protect the users from themselves. If they find something, you cannot just hit "ignore" because you know it's a false positive. They still at least deny you access to the file. Then you have to go and add an exception for that file - which usually involves a lot more clicks.

If you want to pay for it: Kaspersky and GDATA don't seem too bad. Personally, I'd keep my hands off from Norton or McAfee.
    foobar ist offline

5. #5 Zitieren
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    What about BitDefender?
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

6. #6 Zitieren

What about BitDefender?
    In one of the previous versions I discovered a security flaw (permanently open port) during a routine check. Has been fixed since quite some time but I still have a little trouble recommending it. They keep having trouble with such minor (but important) details. In the 2011 version, you can't open the online help without administrator privileges. Intrusion detection¹ is disabled by default because it produces a lot of false alerts. Sometimes, it deletes alleged malware instead of moving it to quarantine. The GUI is powerfull but a bit un-intuitive and at least the German translation is sometimes... interesting.

F-Secure uses the same engine as BitDefender but the GUI is the opposite of it. It is lean and simple but experts might miss some options. And there is a bug where even exceptions get blocked (not sure if it's fixed by now).

In the end, all the major scanners are not that different. Each one lacks a bit here but compensates somewhere else. If you're often running exotic but trusted software which is not included in the whitelists of the scanners, you might want to look for a scanner where you can "Ignore" false alerts or at least easily define exceptions.

¹ The effective usefulness of such features as intrusion detection, behavioural analysis, fishing protection etc. is debatable. But in the end, that's what buy an AV program for. If you just wanted a simple virus scanner, you could stick to the free ones.
    foobar ist offline

7. #7 Zitieren
    Knight Commander
    For free, I'd recommend Avast Home Edition, since that worked quite well. False positives were really rare on that, at least 2-3 years ago. I also remember that it is quite simple to use, but I'm not really sure on that.

If you're willing to pay, and have gained sufficient experience with Avast, and general system maintenance, I'd recommend ESET Smart Security. While the Antivirus itself (NOD32 or ESET Antivirus) is not very different (in efficiency and accuracy) from Avast, the firewall is probably the best if you configure it properly. I personally use the Interactive mode, where it asks you for advice when something's trying to use the network, so that you can quickly choose what accesses the network and what doesn't. The learner mode is probably useless if you're connected to the Net, and the other modes (policy-based and automatic) have their disadvantages too. Of course, if you find the Interactive mode a bit too interruptive, you could try the Automatic mode, but it is possible that some applications will simply fail to work if you don't set exceptions for those.

Both of the mentioned applications are very efficient with hardware resources and shouldn't cause any noticeable difference in the performance of games (and other such apps). But it is also true that while you're running a system scan with ESS, its GUI can be slightly unresponsive at times.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline

8. #8 Zitieren

I usually don't recommend "firewalls". They're rarely any good in matters of security.
    foobar ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    banned
    I always disable firewalls, because my internet connection stopped working because of those a few times. Or at least that's what the service provider said.

10. #10 Zitieren
    Cat  Avatar von Larisa
    Zitat Zitat von Assassin of Kings Beitrag anzeigen
    Or at least that's what the service provider said.
    What silly ISP is that?
    Larisa ist offline

11. #11 Zitieren
    banned
    Zitat Zitat von Larisa Beitrag anzeigen
    What silly ISP is that?
    It doesn't matter ... I guess they told me to deactivate my firewall just as a means of protection, without it being the cause of the defection.

12. #12 Zitieren
    Warrior Avatar von Negative
    For anti-spyware/malware, I used to use AdAware. I started seeing less and less results from it though and moved to MalWareBytes.

http://www.lavasoft.com/
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Both are free and if you use the free version, then they won't be real time. If you think you have a virus and/or spyware though - these come in handy. They also serve as a good maintenance service just to make sure things "behind the scenes" aren't slowing you down (or tracking your data).
    --This is definitely not a Morning Star, but you try to explain that to an Ogre.
    Negative ist offline

13. #13 Zitieren
    Sword Master Avatar von Mage Master
    I have some "panda could antivirus free", the guys who reinstalled my windows put it and it seems reasonable, and I assume it's free since it has free in it's name. I don't know much about computer viruses or AV programs so... something... I don't know.
    Mage Master ist offline

14. #14 Zitieren
    Fighter Avatar von Saberstorm
    I use Kaspersky and I really love it. I bought a two year license.
    "Don't throw stones at every dog that barks at you" George Silver
    Saberstorm ist offline

15. #15 Zitieren
    Veteran Avatar von kojocel
    I am looking for a good antivirus program, which can protect me from all kinds of internet threats. Could you please recommend me something which brings the best results? I don't care if it is free or not, but a free one would be welcome.
    Since you don't have problems spending some coin on this matter (which is also my policy), I can only recommend what I've been using for a couple of years now, with amazing results:

- VIPRE Antivirus, from Sunbelt Software (the best AV on the market imo + outstanding customer support),
    - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (one of the best anti-spyware programs + it's cheap).
    "We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde
    Zone Survival Guide: Shadow of Chernobyl / Call of Pripyat
    kojocel ist offline