Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Ergebnis 1 bis 9 von 9
  1. #1 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    [Bild: k9cm12.png]
    [Bild: ws3gps.png]
    [Bild: 11rabfo.png]
    [Bild: vglz03.png]

I wrote/compiled a guide to Risen. It's 44 pages long (45 with the Table of Contents and title page) and includes everything about the game that's worth knowing. It's not just a copy/paste word dump either. I put a lot of effort into formatting the guide and arranging the information in a useful and accessible format, instead of just putting it out there. The appendix was made almost totally from scratch by me, keystroke by keystroke.

For the first time anywhere I've seen there's a clear, coherent and evaluated description of how to get yourself into the various factions. There are maps with descriptions of where to look for Ogre Roots and Hero's Crowns. There's an easy to use lockpicking cheatsheet so you don't have to savescum your way through Harbor Town each time you play. I've laid out all the plusses and minuses built in to choosing between axes, swords or staves (or Fireball, Ice Lance or Magic Bullet). There is also all of stuff you'd expect in a guide like this like a complete walkthrough, tables that list weapon stats and trainer locations, and the basics about armor.

=========================
    Condensed Table of Contents
    Introduction
    Choosing a faction
    Skills Information: Melee, magic, thieving, alchemy, ranged weapons, prospecting and smithing, skinning
    Attribute Information: Strength, dexterity, wisdom, mana, hitpoints
    Complete Walkthrough including highlighted points of importance and pictures or maps when needed
    Console commands in almost all of their iterations
    Tables on: Swords, axes, staves, bows, crossbows, armor, forgeable items, potions, skill boosting items, scrolls, magic runes, cooking, training
    Maps of: Every Hero Crown, Ogre Root and Pixie Hat in the game, Teleport Rune locations, lock combinations for the town and swamp camp, NPC locations

Download options:
    [megaupload] [mediafire] (v1.3, English, 10 Apr 2010, 1.9mb PDF file)

If you like this guide please post a thank you of some sort in this thread or link to it from your site. This will keep the thread alive and hopefully it will show up on Google's radar.
    risenguide ist offline Geändert von risenguide (11.04.2010 um 05:13 Uhr)

2. #2 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    The only thread related to this guide that I look at regularly is the one I posted at [Something Awful]. I will check in on the others (which includes this one), but don't expect quick replies from me anywhere other than the SA thread.

If you can translate the guide into another language that would be great! German, Russian and Spanish would be especially nice. Please be a native speaker in the target language if you're going to translate the guide. If you want to translate it send me an email and I can provide you with a .doc file to make things easier. When you're done I will include download links to your translation next to the English version above so that everyone can get it. My contact information is in the Introduction portion of the guide. If you're from World of Risen or Gamepressure I'd of course be honored to have my guide up on your site somewhere.

Please email me if you wish to host this guide on your site. I will generally be happy to allow you to do so unless you're going to somehow charge people to access it (in which case you're scum and won't ask me for permission anyway). Expect me to use your site as a download location in these posts if you put the file up, though I will point people to your download page, not directly to the file.

This guide/post is crossposted at:
    English: [Deep Silver] [World of Risen] [Steam] [Rpgwatch]
    Deutsch: [Deep Silver] [World of Risen]
    русский: [World of Risen]
    Française: [Deep Silver]
    Italiano: [Deep Silver]

(I also wanted to post it on Gamespot and Gamepressure but their forums are garbage so I gave up.)
    risenguide ist offline Geändert von risenguide (01.04.2010 um 06:13 Uhr)

3. #3 Zitieren
    banned
    http://guides.gamepressure.com/risen/

This one is better. You have taken almost all info from it.

But some info is good.

Thank you, 1 April spammer.

Risen Ending Credins. Funny.

[Bild: 8e2cef3dc653.jpg]
    bdeimos ist offline

4. #4 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    Zitat Zitat von bdeimos Beitrag anzeigen
    http://guides.gamepressure.com/risen/

This one is better. You have taken almost all info from it.

But some info is good.

Thank you, 1 April spammer.

Risen Ending Credins. Funny.

[Bild: 8e2cef3dc653.jpg]
    I originally took the walkthrough from there, as stated in the guide, but it has been massively reorganized (especially chapter one) and in many cases rewritten. (Compare, for example, my page (13) on joining a faction in Harbor Town to the mess of scattered and confusing information on the gamepressure guide for the same task). The introduction and evaluation of stats and skills was all written by me from scratch. The stat comparison, skill evaluation, tables of item stats and locations, and maps in the appendix are all my own creations (though the format of SOME of the tables is the same as the guide). The console commands I dug up from an ancient Gamefaqs post. Most of the work I did was to make everything beautiful, not to collect the information myself (which would be pointless for me to do when people have already run scripts to dig all of that out of the game data) and making information accessible is no small thing.

More importantly though, this guide is formatted so you can easily print it and have it with you while you play the game. Unless you have two computers you can't access the gamepressure guide while you're playing.

In short, while this one contains some info from the Gamepressure guide I think my guide is WAY better.
    risenguide ist offline Geändert von risenguide (01.04.2010 um 08:25 Uhr)

5. #5 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Dear risenguide,

thank you for sharing this with us and welcome to our forum!

You claim that your guide is largely composed of parts from Gamepressure. Do you have their permission to reuse their work? Because on the site for their Risen guide, they state clearly:
    Do not copy or reprint any element of this guide for public use.
    If you did not get their permission, then I suggest you do not use their work. Even if you gave credit to them, they have the right to refuse this use of their work. I think they put a much love and time into their guide as you in yours and one should respect this, don't you think? Perhaps you could make an even better guide by using your own words?

And might I also suggest you reconsider your file format? MS Word is known for not keeping layouts when opening files from other computers. And DOC files are considered problematic because they can transport macro viruses. Maybe you could create a PDF file (OpenOffice can create them natively or you could install the free PDFCreator which acts as a virtual printer). Then anyone could read your guide.

PS: If you make a guide free of copyright violations, I could see to it that we host it directly on our website (with full credit to its author, of course) and also link to it in a sticky thread in the Help section.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (01.04.2010 um 22:52 Uhr)

6. #6 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    If you did not get their permission, then I suggest you do not use their work.
    It's only the walkthrough portion that uses their guide, and the walkthrough was the last part I added. If anyone has an issue with this they can just not print / look at the walkthrough.

And might I also suggest you reconsider your file format? MS Word is known for not keeping layouts when opening files from other computers.
    Recheck the OP. I've already converted it to PDF. I'd left it in .doc originally because I couldn't find a converter that didn't ruin my formatting. Finally found one, so now the PDF version is up.

PS: If you make a guide free of copyright violations, I could see to it that we host it directly on our website (with full credit to its author, of course) and also link to it in a sticky thread in the Help section.
    Thanks for the offer, but I already spent three (four?) days assembling this, and initially just put it together for my own use. People on another forum expressed a lot of interest in it so I polished it a little bit more and made it available for them.

This is a free, amateur produced guide. It's not about me getting money or glory, it's just me offering a coherent and condensed compilation of information already out there.

Additionally, the gamepressure guide uses map images taken directly from the game (I assume, maybe they were taken from Wold of Risen or a Google Image search) -- did they get copyright permission from Deep Silver to republish their maps and images? How about to use the copyrighted word Risen? I'm pretty sure Deep Silver has a similar copyright statement in the EULA agreement that you agree to when installing the game. Maybe you want to say that what they did is somehow worse than copying the words they wrote, but hey, they're also making money off of their guide -- I'm not making a thing off of mine. If you want to claim that the gamepressure guide does good things for Risen because it encourages people to enjoy the product then I could say that my guide does the same for the gampressure website -- after all, I made no effort to hide that the walkthrough was from there, I didn't erase their watermarks from the images I used from there. Copyright isn't a black and white issue.

If you guys don't want this on World of Risen just delete the threads. I certainly won't repost them.

I also find your reaction to my guide a little bizzare given the slew of essentially anti-copyright links in your signature -- at least you didn't call me a spammer though.
    risenguide ist offline Geändert von risenguide (02.04.2010 um 04:37 Uhr)

7. #7 Zitieren

Metasyntaktische Variable
    Zitat Zitat von risenguide Beitrag anzeigen
    I also find your reaction to my guide a little bizzare given the slew of essentially anti-copyright links in your signature -- at least you didn't call me a spammer though.
    Well, first of all, I'm sure you can see the difference between copyright itself and the measures that some takes to enforce it. As stated in my text, I don't really have a problem with copyright. I have a problem with copy protection because that hits the honest buyer.

Second, one thing is my personal opinion, another is what I have to do a moderator.

We have to protect the forum. The reason why we are so strict on this matter is that Germany has a unique (and if you ask me, rather strange) juristical constellation for this. Many countries know the instrument of a "cease-and-desist order". Those who think that their rights are violated can send such a warning to the offender to make him stop his assumed violation. This is supposed to prevent unnecessary lawsuits. But as far as I know, only in Germany the one sending this order can bill the offender for the costs of this warning with no limit*. Lawyers in Germany are using this to earn money. Their fees are based on the value in dispute and they simply set this to astronomical values to raise their fees which they then invoice the offender for. If you think that the value in dispute is too high then you'll have to go to court to have it set "properly". That costs time and money and has the risk of loosing.

Short version: Copyrighted material on site -> site receives cease-and-desist order and a bill for a few hundred euros from a lawyer who needs a new Mercedes -> site can either pay or risk a long and costly lawsuit with uncertain outcome.

I think it is understandable that the administration, who maintain this forum as a private hobby project in their free time, are not interested in a long controversy or lawsuit with a lawyer about some value in dispute or fees. They invest time and money in this site to provide fans of many different games a place to gather and discuss. Not to fight an uphill battle against lawyers and politicians who make such stupid laws.

As you can see, the terms of use are there for a reason. I ask you to respect them and help us keep the forum alive by reporting any possible violations.

This just as an off-topic explanation of the reasons behind the strictness we show in this regard.

As for your guide, I am uncertain what to do with it. I think it's usefull but it also seems to violates some copyrights. Tough choice. I think I'll ask the admins what to do with it. It's their call anyway.
    Update: Admins gave their Ok, the guide can stay! But - as I said - we cannot host it on our servers, we just provide the links.

* Recent changes introduced such a limit but the phrasing is very squishy, biased and without any precedents yet. Many people think that in its current form, that change of the law is useless.
    foobar ist offline Geändert von foobar (02.04.2010 um 12:44 Uhr)

8. #8 Zitieren
    banned
    Zitat Zitat von risenguide Beitrag anzeigen
    Additionally, the gamepressure guide uses map images taken directly from the game (I assume, maybe they were taken from Wold of Risen or a Google Image search) -- did they get copyright permission from Deep Silver to republish their maps and images? How about to use the copyrighted word Risen?
    Read letters under every page in Gamepressure PDF guide. You simply must do the same. Write about guides.gamepressure.com materials in your guide and about other copyrighted stuff.
    But also you need an agreement of that site.
    bdeimos ist offline

9. #9 Zitieren
    Apprentice
    Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    Admins gave their Ok, the guide can stay! But - as I said - we cannot host it on our servers, we just provide the links.
    I'm fine with that.

Slightly new version of the guide up. I've adjusted my opinions of some skills somewhat after cross-testing. Biggest change is my opinion on the magic crystals.
    risenguide ist offline