Home Risen Risen2 Risen3 Forum English Russian

Registrieren Hilfe Kalender Heutige Beiträge
Seite 1 von 21 12345812 ... Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 401
    Deep Silver a. D. Avatar von doberlec
    Hello Risen Fans,

I’d like to give you an update on copy protection for Risen 2. We know that this topic is important for you which is why we want to be as transparent as possible. As mentioned before on several occasions, we regularly evaluate copy protection systems on the market for our product portfolio. In our role as publisher for entertainment software, a set of basic requirements has to be met by the technology we deploy:

Security: The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer as well as the publisher.
    Compatibility: The technology has to be compatible with all hardware components out there.
    Comfort: The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.
    Support: The technology has to provide us the means to help customers if the product is not behaving in the expected manner.
    Reliability: The scheme has to be proven stable over multiple years and many products.

We diligently reviewed many solutions in the last couple of years and in the case of Risen 2 we decided to use the Steam-Plattform from Valve on a worldwide basis.The reasons we decided to go with Steam are:

Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC. Steam has been running stable on millions of PCs out there, so it provides the reliability we need. The digital copy of Risen 2 will also not require two different copy protections on Steam (compared to Risen 1).

Risen 2 will be playable without a DVD in the drive if the product has been added to a Steam account (Steam accounts are free) and will be available for download on other PCs if you’re on the move and still want to play Risen 2. The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security. Steam also offers a big array of community features: chats, game groups, achievements and the player can even upload up to 1000 screenshots to share his/her experience in the world of Risen 2. All those features convinced us that Steam offers the right package of features, reliability and security for us.

Naturally we also wanted to keep the restrictions, which are part of any copy protection, as unobtrusive as possible. You will only be required to be online once – to link your game to your Steam account and afterwards you will be able to play offline and without DVD in the drive. You will also be able to install Risen 2 from your Steam account on as many systems you like.

best rgds,
    doberlec
    doberlec ist offline

Warrior Avatar von SlamDunk
    This is great news.

Good call on using Steamworks
    SlamDunk ist offline

Ranger
    Thanks for the info. Can you please clarify the following:
    1. There will be boxed DVD version of Risen 2 and it will also require Steam to work, is that correct?
    2. Will all worldwide versions of Risen 2 be multilanguage? In particular, will Russian version include German and English text and speech?
    PowerGamer ist offline

banned
    Good choice. As far as I know, using Steam also implies promoting the game more than it would be promoted by others.
    Assassin of Kings ist offline

Metasyntaktische Variable
    As I said in German thread: I will not buy any game that comes with DRM. As this now includes Risen 2, you just lost me as customer. Congrats.
    foobar ist offline

Zitat Zitat von foobar Beitrag anzeigen
    As I said in German thread: I will not buy any game that comes with DRM. As this now includes Risen 2, you just lost me as customer. Congrats.
    Your loss, then.

I haven't experienced any kind of problems with DRM games.
    SlamDunk ist offline

Zitat Zitat von SlamDunk Beitrag anzeigen
    I haven't experienced any kind of problems with DRM games.
    Which is not the point.
    foobar ist offline

Apprentice
    Wow, this THE worst decision you could have made. I bought Risen on release, paid 26 pounds for it plus shipping, Risen 2 I will now pick up in a bargain bin.
    You've chosen the worst, the most problematic, bug ridden DRM in existence, not to mention archaic in its design (a third party storefront application required to RUN the game? Please!).

Zitat Zitat von doberlec Beitrag anzeigen
    Security: The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer as well as the publisher.
    Steam is not secure. Cracking it is a copy-paste job for warez groups, even multiplayer isn't secure!
    Steamworks games appear on torrent sites day one and even have the requirement to run the client in the background removed. Pirates will surely thank you for giving them a superior version which legit customers won't have access to unless they download said cracked version as a "backup". Is that what you wanted?

Compatibility: The technology has to be compatible with all hardware components out there.
    Almost every DRM method meets this requirement.

Comfort: The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.
    My experience with Steam:
    - instead of installing a game and playing it immediately I have to install Steam first, update this useless program, then have to be connected to the internet for the whole installation process, wait for files on the disc to be decrypted, wait for files stored on Valve servers to download (often up to 2GB of data necessary to launch the game which for some reason is missing from the retail disc). Heaven forbid your internet connection drops, the entire installation will fail.
    - offline mode which doesn't work if you forgot to go offline while still connected to the internet
    - "Steam is too busy", "your game is not available at this time" and other such nonsense
    - to play the game, I HAVE to have Steam installed, updated and running in the background - what for? No idea. Nice spyware.

Other DRM methods which require online activation require that you only verify the exe, which takes a SECOND and you're free to play.

The "value" that Steam adds to games is overwhelming.

Support: The technology has to provide us the means to help customers if the product is not behaving in the expected manner.
    Oh yes, Steam tends to cause nothing but problems, so that's a good idea for sure!

Reliability: The scheme has to be proven stable over multiple years and many products.
    I'd argue every DRM meets such criteria.

Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC.
    Risen 1 had one - ONE - patch. It's not a multiplayer game that needs constant updates.

Risen 2 will be playable without a DVD in the drive if the product has been added to a Steam account (Steam accounts are free) and will be available for download on other PCs if you’re on the move and still want to play Risen 2.
    EA games for example also don't need a DVD in the drive, they use a simple one-time activation.
    As for downloading "on the move" - I doubt anyone who travels a lot will have access to high-speed internet connection to download such a huge game.

The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security.

Steam also offers a big array of community features: chats, game groups, achievements and the player can even upload up to 1000 screenshots to share his/her experience in the world of Risen 2.
    Most of these "features" are pure unnecessary nonsense, which can be activated in EVERY game by simply activating the Steam overlay - you don't need any game to be Steamworks and its DRM enabled to get access to such things!

No sale until it's 5 pounds or cheaper. Enjoy your game getting miserable sales, which is a shame, because I like Piranha Bytes and you as a publisher - the Steam crowd won't even consider getting this game unless it's 50% or 75% off. Oh, and digital distrbution will now be Steam exclusive. Nice for giving your customers a CHOICE.
    Speakerpankratz ist offline Geändert von Speakerpankratz (26.07.2011 um 00:10 Uhr)

Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Hello Risen Fans,

I’d like to give you an update on copy protection for Risen 2. We know that this topic is important for you which is why we want to be as transparent as possible.
    That is appreciated.

As mentioned before on several occasions, we regularly evaluate copy protection systems on the market for our product portfolio.
    I would call that waste of money since the only games which haven't been cracked until now are those belonging to publishers which paid the crackers not to do it. Big shock, I know, but some do that.

There is no such thing as secure for the publisher. Risen 2 WILL be cracked day 1. I am ready to bet on it.

No copy protection at all is more compatible.

That is bull. It has so much bull in it that makes JW look like decent, honest guys.

Or classical forum/email customer support.

Which is not the case.

We diligently reviewed many solutions in the last couple of years and in the case of Risen 2 we decided to use the Steam-Plattform from Valve on a worldwide basis.
    So are they paying you for this?

Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC. Steam has been running stable on millions of PCs out there, so it provides the reliability we need. The digital copy of Risen 2 will also not require two different copy protections on Steam (compared to Risen 1).
    Or you could just take your time and make a game which doesn't need patches. Or are you deliberately launching it unfinished?

Risen 2 will be playable without a DVD in the drive if the product has been added to a Steam account (Steam accounts are free)
    No copy protection at all would be as welcome for the paying customer.

and will be available for download on other PCs if you’re on the move and still want to play Risen 2. The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security.
    Or you could actually let the customers use the DVDs they bought.

Steam also offers a big array of community features: chats, game groups, achievements and the player can even upload up to 1000 screenshots to share his/her experience in the world of Risen 2.
    Features which are totally unnecessary for most players.

All those features convinced us that Steam offers the right package of features, reliability and security for us.
    Keep lying to yourself. I repeat. Your game WILL be cracked. Day one.

Naturally we also wanted to keep the restrictions, which are part of any copy protection, as unobtrusive as possible.
    Or you could just use no copy protection. You will save money and reward paying customers instead of asking them to give personal information and lose time instead of just paying the game.

You will only be required to be online once – to link your game to your Steam account and afterwards you will be able to play offline and without DVD in the drive. You will also be able to install Risen 2 from your Steam account on as many systems you like.
    How would you feel about someone asking you for your personal ID code, address and bank account number when you go to the cinema to see a movie? We ask for this just once, then you can come and see the movie again on the same data.

My advice: drop the copy protection. I guarantee you won't sell less. And you will have happier customers. And I would really like you to bring an argument against having no copy protection.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

Cat  Avatar von Larisa
    I don't have a great understanding of English, so perhaps I'm wrong, but this sounds so PR-ish, and more targeted towards the producing part of the business instead of the consumer one.

The copy protection scheme in question has to be very secure for the customer
    What exactly does it secures? It acts like an antivirus or something? How do other copy protection systems fail in this regard?

The protection has to add value to the player aside to its protective behaviour.
    A Tetris mini-game would be nice. That's what I would call added value.

The Steam account itself has been further fortified by the optional Steam Guard system which adds another layer of security.
    Again, how does this Steam Guard helps end-users to keep them safe and sound? And from what?
    Larisa ist offline

Kämpfer Avatar von UrukGox
    Steam offers an automated update system which allows all customers to play the latest version of Risen 2 since all patches will be delivered automatically to their PC.
    ???
    No sale until it's 5 pounds or cheaper.
    4.5€ ...full patched
    UrukGox ist offline

Deus Avatar von Maladiq
    Why do I have the sensation we speak the truth in vain and the answers we will get will be next to 0?
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!
    Maladiq ist offline

Man... you guys whine and complain way too much. This is not as big of a deal you want it to sound like.

Which is not the point.
    What is your point, then?
    SlamDunk ist offline

Knight Commander
    @doberlec: So, are you really getting enough money from Steam to ignore poor sales? If not, I can see a troubled future for PB ahead.

By the way, the situation reminds me of this thread.

EDIT: What are the odds of PB doing the square, manly thing and providing us the means to bypass the copy protection, like CDPR recently did with the AoK?

Zitat Zitat von SlamDunk Beitrag anzeigen
    What is your point, then?
    You might take a look at one of the links in foobar's signature. It's the sort of exhaustive explanation that you want.
    My skin for Opera Web Browser.[Bild: tOC_sig1.jpg]
    Nisarg ist offline Geändert von Nisarg (26.07.2011 um 07:12 Uhr)

Veteran Avatar von vic1968
    That's a VERY wrong choice from my point of view.Personally, I do not want to download or register a game; I just want to buy my boxed game, put the DVD into the DVD unit, install the game and play it.I shall never have a Steam account so, if that will be the single one variant, you will lose a customer and this is a pity because I'm a great PB's fan.
    vic1968 ist offline

banned
    Why is everyone making such a fuss over this business with Steam? So what if it requires you to have an internet connection and Steam installed? Is that such a big deal? If Risen 2 will be so great as it seems, that would be just a minor and insignificant inconvenience.
    Assassin of Kings ist offline

Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz
    I'm joining you.
    Powaz ist offline

Zitat Zitat von Nisarg Beitrag anzeigen
    You might take a look at one of the links in foobar's signature. It's the sort of exhaustive explanation that you want.
    In addition to the general problems with DRM, Steam also complicates matters for people with no or small internet connection. There is no alternate way of activation and patches are only distributed through Steam. Normally, when you have no or only slow internet connection, you would just download the patch as EXE file on some other PC (e.g. an internet café, a friend, etc.), carry it home and install it there. To my knowledge, Steam makes that impossible.

It is virtually not practically usable on PCs without fast internet connections.
    foobar ist offline

Warrior Avatar von André Feroi
    I can accept to register on-line (as others mentioned, I don't know whether it is useful, but this is another question) but I feel unconfortable to have to install a third party application. And in the case of a DRM/security/monitoring software, I am VERY reluctant to do so.
    André Feroi ist offline

Kämpfer Avatar von UrukGox
    I also can not stand that some kind of spyware buzz in the background and irritates me.
    UrukGox ist offline

Seite 1 von 21 12345812 ... Letzte »