Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 30
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Veteran Avatar von Takuu

Takuu ist offline

Specific book request

I dont read a lot, and when I do it its something because of my college. I use most of my free time playing games and such. But now I have this strange feeling like I wanna read some book. And now the strangest part of the post:
    I am looking for a book that is similar to the Gothic game. Yes. Something medieval , with good story , something that will give me feeling like am playing rpg game. Imagine if Gothic 1 and 2 where books.. it would probably be my favorite ones..

Anyway, can I find this type of book? Any ideas are appreciated!
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded

2. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Lazor

Lazor ist offline
    There are plenty of books that could fit your description.

Try to search for books written by R.A Salvatore, who's one of the best authors of fantasy novels.

Personally I really enjoyed "The Cleric Quintet". On the other hand most people say "The Dark Elf Trilogy" is his best work so far.

Usually you can find this kind of books in fantasy stores that sell fantasy games, like RPG games, miniature wargames, fantasy card games etc.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz

Powaz ist offline
    R.A Salvatore books.

And be sure to pick up the Song of Ice and Fire series, by George R. R. Martin.

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Knight Avatar von Gor_Na_Drak

Gor_Na_Drak ist offline
    The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock.
    Great antihero.

Elric of Melniboné: "It is the color of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two slanting eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the color of bone. "
    The Rune blades: Brought to earth centuries before and wielded by the Melnibon`e emperors, these blades where turned over to the Gods and placed in the pulsing cavern when they became too powerful to control. They are known by the names StormBringer and MournBlade. They have the ability to give the wielder unparalleled strength. They are also sentient and require feeding to appease them. This feeding is in the form of souls taken during battle. Many of Elric's enemies plead not to be killed by his fearsome blade, StormBringer, as their souls are sent straight to hell for eternity. Although Elric is able to overcome his genetic weaknesses, and for the first time in his life he no longer needs to ingest his sorceress potions to sustain his life, this strength is gained at the price of a symbiotic relationship with his blade. Many is the time he will regret unsheathing it, as StormBringer has a taste for friend and foe alike.

5. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #5
    Veteran Avatar von CrashMorraKan

CrashMorraKan ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Maesstro Beitrag anzeigen
    Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien. Gothic has many elements based on it.
    ah! i also wanted to advise him this book!

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Veteran Avatar von Melvish

Melvish ist offline
    [Bild: DragonsofAutumnTwilight_1984original.jpg]

I recommend Dragons of Autumn Twilight, good book based on actual p&p D&D sessions (and it started the gender). If you like it, there's 2 other in the trilogy and other books that further develop the story of some of the characters.

Anything by R.A Salvatore is quite good but I especially recommend the Dark-Elf Trilogy.

If you enjoy wizard stories, try books by Ed Greenwood, the master-mind behind the Forgotten Realms. Elminster: The Making of a Mage, an excellent story.

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    banned

Anastasia ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Melvish Beitrag anzeigen

If you enjoy wizard stories, try books by Ed Greenwood, the master-mind behind the Forgotten Realms. Elminster: The Making of a Mage, an excellent story.
    Ed Greenwood rules!
    I've been meaning to ask you.. are there any D&D computer games? Can you tell me which do you know of?

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Fighter Avatar von Darth Crow

Darth Crow ist offline
    Yes, DragonLance is very good I'd also advise you to read the Eragon series or "The Inheritance series" by Christopher Paolini. Really great ones, there's even some kind of "RPG element" for the main character
    Also, if you would be into something funnier, try sir Terry Prattchet's books. He's really a legend, and his "Discworld" series books are fantastic :P
    Brothers of Metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air!

VIVA GOTHIC!

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Veteran Avatar von Melvish

Melvish ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Anastasia Beitrag anzeigen
    Ed Greenwood rules!
    I've been meaning to ask you.. are there any D&D computer games? Can you tell me which do you know of?
    Well I'v enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games a lot (especially the 1st), it is a Forgotten realm setting. Icewind dale II is also good but more action oriented. My all time favorite would be Planescape: Torment. It got the best role-play elements I've seen in a D&D-CRPG. The characters are extremely well developed and well thought of. The dialog is rich and very immersive. You get to play an amnesiac immortal on a quest to learn why he cannot die. You start with a neutral alignment and your choice in the game define what it become as you progress.

I know that there is a book base on the game written by Ray and Valerie Vallese but I never managed to find it.

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    banned

Anastasia ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Melvish Beitrag anzeigen
    Well I'v enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games a lot (especially the 1st), it is a Forgotten realm setting. Icewind dale II is also good but more action oriented. My all time favorite would be Planescape: Torment. It got the best role-play elements I've seen in a D&D-CRPG. The characters are extremely well developed and well thought of. The dialog is rich and very immersive. You get to play an amnesiac immortal on a quest to learn why he cannot die. You start with a neutral alignment and your choice in the game define what it become as you progress.

I know that there is a book base on the game written by Ray and Valerie Vallese but I never managed to find it.
    I will check the planescape game since I haven't played it before

11. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Demigod Avatar von Bastardo

Bastardo ist offline
    I dunno why but I was thinking of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Apprentice Avatar von ioszhka

ioszhka ist offline
    +1 for Planescape: Torment. also try neverwinter nights 2+add-ons || +1 for Tolkien

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Veteran Avatar von ZombieNL

ZombieNL ist offline
    +1 for Tolkien
    but if you name him, you should also name
    Raymond E. Feist and Christopher Paolini
    who both write fantasy story's.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Veteran Avatar von Takuu

Takuu ist offline
    Ty for the comments guys! I will definitely check something from R.A Salvatore in the bookstores. Going by the fact I live in the stupidest place on the planet I will be surprised if they have something from him. If i dont find any books from Salvatore in my place I will order something from internet..
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Schmetterling  Avatar von Redsonja

Das Königreich Argaan im Forenrollenspiel
    Redsonja ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Powaz Beitrag anzeigen
    R.A Salvatore books.

And be sure to pick up the Song of Ice and Fire series, by George R. R. Martin.
    I'd underline this. I really like a song of ice and fire. It somehow shows a cruel world with intrigues and dark figures in it. In my opinion it is written believable and I went straight into the story.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    R.A Salvatore books.
    Ugh. One of the worst clichéfests in fantasy. His first two Drizzt Do'Urden trilogies are OK, but the rest is just horribly clichéd and predictable pulp.

Conan. The original stories by Howard. That's some genuinely kickass fantasy.

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Apprentice

attila3453 ist offline
    How about a book about medieval Japan?
    I think the book is pretty good, it has a captivating atmosphere.
    The protagonist, being English, must adapt to a whole new way of life, which happens with Nameless Hero too, being thrown in the colony.
    http://www.systemsecurity.de/games/shogun/shogun.jpg

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Local Hero Avatar von Sorinash

Sorinash ist offline
    The only book with medieval times i read is Robin Hood,it wasn't that bad,but the end is pretty sad

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Powaz

Powaz ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Hellbilly Beitrag anzeigen
    Ugh. One of the worst clichéfests in fantasy. His first two Drizzt Do'Urden trilogies are OK, but the rest is just horribly clichéd and predictable pulp.

Conan. The original stories by Howard. That's some genuinely kickass fantasy.
    Okay I agree R.A Salvatore isn't that Gothic-esque, it's a pretty clichéfests. Conan is great is you like muscular sweaty man in linel cloth. Just kidding it's great.

But Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin is a must, methinks.

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    Okay I agree R.A Salvatore isn't that Gothic-esque, it's a pretty clichéfests.
    Yup. Nothing wrong with that in itself, Salvatore is one of the best of these endless throngs of cliché fantasy writers, at least when he is at his best, but a lot of his stuff is just tiresome. The first book of the Dark Elf trilogy is even a bit original IMO, or was at the time, and stands in my mind as his finest hour. But he's nowhere as bad as David Eddings! That guy's written like one book... a hundred times!

Oh yeah, Ursula Le Guin. The first book in the earth sea series has a very dark and gritty atmosphere, and maybe just a passing hint of similarity to the dark feel the Gothics achieve at times. I didn't like the two following books as much and Tehanu left absolutely no impressions, but the first book is IMO a often overlooked classic of fantasy.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »