Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 4 1234 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 67
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline

The Future of WoG

It is clear for everybody that World of Gothic has long passed its prime. Of course, years have come and went since a new or good title was released, so new blood is not to be expect in the ranks of the forum members. Yet what we are facing is not a community shrinking to a more compact form, it is a community on the brink of death.

First of all, Gothic meant a lot to all of us, yet I am not talking here about this wonderful game. Nor am I discussing personal forum obsessions. I am talking here about a place which brought (at least) me monitor to monitor with people from whom I learned not only facts, but lessons as well. I had fun, I had fights, I had debates, I trolled, I spammed, I got infractions, I got the chance and learned how to be a better forum member, how to not offend others, respect the opinions of others, where I grew past quarreling with people over petty insults and so on. Most of us did. The only reason this happened is because we have been, over the years, above everything else, a community, and not only a place where we obsessed about a game, or a place where to blow off steam.

What happened?

Yes, as I said, no new titles and no fresh meat. Yet what about the other members? Have we got to know each other over the years that there is no point in having threads other than "what are we listening/reading etc" now? Have we grown tired of each other? Was the "forum drama" (banned users coming back, trolls, spammers, fights) the secret engine of our community? Even the forum games are dead.

Maybe a lot of users have "grown past the forum stage of the teenage years", yet we are still here. Bastardo, Omid, Nisrag, Oni, Faby, HB, 1C, Rockfest, Lazor, Bamfy, Zerion, Mikel, Yavana, Dino, KGS, Tudorache, Stalagmite, Forenperser, Danutz, Kojocel and all the others. And new members are still coming. Ario, Keeper. We are many, despite the many members who left. Ovi, Kostas, Gor, DTR, WarTom, and the others. Yet nothing moves around here.

During the past weeks I have tried creating some threads which I hoped would boost the almost flatline of this forums. Yet I failed. If you guys think this is what is natural to happen it's alright. However, if you are discontent with the current situation, please post your thoughts on this topic. Make suggestions about what should we do, how could we bring a little life to this place.

Why is there such a lack of interest? I believe there are many things which could bring some colour in this mass of greys. We could have forum tournaments (the german side has them afaik), contests, game championships and a tradition of Gothic Multiplayer showdowns. Here is another idea: debate threads with teams and judges. And so on. Bring your ideas to the table. Let's do something about this whole situation.

And mods, feel free to join in. After all, if there are going to be contests or other activities, there is the need of coordination, and maybe some prizes (forum titles, fancy stars and so on).
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    General Avatar von ICFabian

ICFabian ist offline
    I believe this to be the natural order of things, in the long run. Fatalism or not, all things are bound to die one day, and struggling to keep them alive despite the obvious course they're taking strikes me as somewhat immature.

I say have fun with what's left of it. Make new threads, discuss things, enjoy each-other's contributions, and slowly let it expire. We're all emotionally invested in this place, for good or ill, so I understand the thrashing about trying to keep its heart beating, but I don't know just how recommendable that is.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3
    Schwertmeister Avatar von warstrike

warstrike ist offline
    Maladiq is right ,we can still keep these forums alive.At least for the old times sake !

4. Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Skinhead  Avatar von Hellbilly

Hellbilly ist offline
    I'm inclined to agree with Faby. Most forums have, by their very nature, a limited lifespan and WoG is in the endstages of its own. The vitality of a forum is entirely dependent on a steady influx of new users; needn't be many, but enough to keep things going on and bring new faces who stay around. With the future of the Gothic-series looking very bleak, and the international (English-speaking) modding community being quite small, there isn't much that brings new users to the forum. It's a vicious circle; no new people means topics for discussion are exhausted quickly resulting in a quiet forum, and a quiet forum doesn't encourage new people to become active.

Many people still hang around, but... what is there really left to talk about except random daily chit-chat? Yet another in a long string of debates on religion, or politics, or how America sucks/does not suck? Or music? Or another conflict in the eternal consoles vs. pc war that has raged here as well from time to time? Everyone who remains active has discussed there topics to death.

IMO, steps to make the community more solid are good. But they still require a healthy foundation, and WoG-eng lacks that foundation at the moment. If, from out of the blue, news of a new (PB-made) Gothic would appear, then I think this forum would be given a new lease of life.

I think there's no point to deny that the day when WoG-eng should be declared dead are approaching. I don't think a forum should be given CPR. But the death of WoG-eng doesn't have to mean the end of communiction between the "core" members of the community. IMO, it would make more sense to try and find some new channel of communications, whether it be Facebook, some other forum or, maybe, open up a new site/forum (with a less dead theme) as a joint effort.

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5

ICFabian ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von warstrike Beitrag anzeigen
    Maladiq is right ,we can still keep these forums alive.At least for the old times sake !
    And what does this result in, other than more frustration and fatalism and "woe is me the forum is dead"? People are trying to keep this place up and living, but there's not much you can do but accept the reality of things.

I'm all for nostalgia and golden ages of the past, but what good does that do?

6. Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    You sound like a woman

7. Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    I don't think there's much to be done. We have depleted most topics, we already know the opinion of the members on a given subject, for example religion or politics, or believes, or gaming preferences, etc.

The lack of a new Gothic title doesn't make things better. Speaking of which, the Hardcore Challenge thread was a nice addition during the period between Gothic 3 and Arcania. But you can't force yourself to beat the game again and again.

The only active part of the forum remains the peanuts section. And there's not a whole lot to say here too, except sharing some daily stuff and random events. A few big game releases every now and then, a few movies... nothing particular.

I mean, it's been more than 6 years now since I joined and almost 9 000 posts. As enterntaining as it was, you guys aren't here, meaning that we don't even live in the same country. I can't go out and do stuff with other forum members. I'd love to travel around Europe but I lack time and I lack money so that's out of the question.
    Sometimes I play League of Legends with Mikel but that's just about it.

It would seem we can try to find some common interest and convert it into an occasional activity. Playing gothic 2 multiplayer seems nice and all... but last time I played it, things were bad. The servers were lagging, there was almost nothing to do rather than duels, players would quit if I attack them, I get random disconnects, etc. It was not fun at all.
    As far as forum tournaments and games go, I don't think most of us have the time for it.

8. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #8
    Benutzer, die ihr Benutzerkonto per E-Mail bestätigen müssen Avatar von Yavanna

Yavanna ist offline
    I used to post on the Prince of Persia forum, but one day I just stopped posting. There have been no new good games so most of the old posters left years ago. At least here I can still talk to people I knew 6-7 years ago, so I log in and check this forum once in a while. If it's time for it to die, it will die, and we won't be able to stop it.

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9
    Deus Avatar von Maladiq

Maladiq ist offline
    In this case, let us take a seat next to the dying elder and tell good stories while waiting for the inevitable.
    For the most recent Elex news, the new Piranha Bytes RPG, visit us at World of Elex!!!

10. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #10
    Benutzer, die ihr Benutzerkonto per E-Mail bestätigen müssen Avatar von Yavanna

Yavanna ist offline
    The forum will die when you guys stop posting. =P

11. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #11
    Mythos Avatar von Onisuzume

Onisuzume ist offline
    WoG ist Tot.
    Lang Lebe WoG.

Anyhow, I hope that we'll be getting a Gothic 5 soon that picks up where Gothic 3 left (TNH and Xardas entering the unknown lands). Maybe we could have a petition for that?
    Dunno how feasible it'd be, but maybe we could scrape together some 50.000 autographs between the english and german WoGs?

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12
    Ranger Avatar von Phillip of the Fire Clan

Phillip of the Fire Clan ist offline
    Somehow, WoGEn's only chance (and a small one at that IMO) seems to be the CSP. Though, the forum will probably die by the time it comes out...

Zitat Zitat von Onisuzume Beitrag anzeigen
    Anyhow, I hope that we'll be getting a Gothic 5 soon that picks up where Gothic 3 left (TNH and Xardas entering the unknown lands).
    I'd like that too, but FG and Arcania are part of the lore now weather we like it or not. So that's probably not going to happen.

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13

ICFabian ist offline
    I've definitely got a lot to be grateful for, as regards wog. Met a lot of friends here (and more than friends ;D), and we had a good run. There were definitely hitches and frustrations along the way, but overall I really enjoyed hanging about, even through the drama.

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14
    Knight Avatar von Ariogaisus

Ariogaisus ist offline
    Even though I signed up a little bit over a year ago here, I have enjoyed the time i've been here.

Met a lot of friends here (and more than friends ;D)
    I think everybody has, well, maybe except for Danto and Calin, but the point still stands. (My English is getting worse by the day)

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15

ICFabian ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Ariogaisus Beitrag anzeigen
    (My English is getting worse by the day)
    Really? Mine too -_- It's actually a point I brought up in college today... The more I study grammar, the less English I actually end up knowing. It's bloody strange.

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16
    Apprentice

entity ist offline
    You keep saying WoG-eng is dead, but have you been over to english World of Risen? If this is dead, then what's that?
    Anyway, my point is this forum doesn't feel like dead to me. Yes, i know, random guy posting here as you see it, but still - i find this forum interesting enough to come here every now and then(couple times a day for the past few months). And yes, I know I don't post much, I guess it's because I don't really know anyone here, so on the few occasions i do post something it's never off-topic(read: not in the Peanuts section - ridiculous name btw )
    So, yeah, I guess what's really going on is you guys are bored to death by this forum, but there are still a few people out there who sure do mostly come here to ask questions about the game, but isn't that what this forum was originally about?

Oh and
    IMO, it would make more sense to try and find some new channel of communications, whether it be Facebook, some other forum or, maybe, open up a new site/forum (with a less dead theme) as a joint effort.
    I always liked irc, maybe you can give that a shot

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Demigod Avatar von Dino

Dino ist offline
    ^You're always welcome to post in the OT section.

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Knight Commander Avatar von TudoracheMG

TudoracheMG ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Faby Beitrag anzeigen
    Really? Mine too -_- It's actually a point I brought up in college today... The more I study grammar, the less English I actually end up knowing. It's bloody strange.
    Mrs Corny complained today about how sophomores are getting lazier and less motivated with each passing day

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Veteran

Kraszu ist offline
    We still have CSP for G3, and new patch was just released, kinda ironic that I got my interest in Gothic back just recently.

Zitat Zitat von Phillip of the Fire Clan Beitrag anzeigen
    Somehow, WoGEn's only chance (and a small one at that IMO) seems to be the CSP. Though, the forum will probably die by the time it comes out...

I'd like that too, but FG and Arcania are part of the lore now weather we like it or not. So that's probably not going to happen.
    Gothic 3 had 3 endings so new Gothic game can continue Beliar or Innos ending.
    Geändert von Kraszu (12.11.2012 um 20:18 Uhr)

20. Beiträge anzeigen #20

ICFabian ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von TudoracheMG Beitrag anzeigen
    Mrs Corny complained today about how sophomores are getting lazier and less motivated with each passing day
    Oh, she can can it for all I care. Switched my seminar teachers, best decision I ever made. If she knew the barest thing about teaching, perhaps she'd be entitled to whine, but as it is, she can very much keep her mummy mouth tight D:

Seite 1 von 4 1234 Letzte »