Home Gothic Gothic II Gothic 3 Gothic 4 Downloads Forums

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 30
  1. Beiträge anzeigen #1
    Chosen One Avatar von rockfest

rockfest ist offline

Gothic3 Starter =BETA=

Hello
    Since Gothic3 was released and the modding area for the english community will probably have a big part along with the german one i developed a starter for Gothic3.
    It is important to understand that at the moment the starter is at the BETA stage. During this stage alot of changes will prbably be made based on your input and feedback. I'm waiting for bug reports, suggestions or any improvement you have in mind. This is the thread to submit this data.

Description
    The starter at is basis works the same as the previous starters for G1 and G2 developed by Nico. However taking advantage of the new way that Gothic3 gathers it's resources the most important change is the fact that we can play more than one mod at the same time.

The starter will have to be installed in the main folder of Gothic3 in order to work and it uses the .NET framework 2.0
    There are 2 versions of installation (with and without the .net framework included).

Basic usage
    Without any doubt starting Gothic3 with the selected mods is easy as eating chinese food with chopsticks (just kidding).
    The only thing required to do in order to play Gothic3 modifications is to open Gothic3 Starter, select from the list the desired modification(s) and press Start Game.

Features
    Some of the features for users
    • Auto-detection of present modification(s)
    • Auto-saving and loading selected modification(s) for each time you open the Starter
    • Simple tool design
    • Auto-saving of current modifications and their files during run-time in the case of system failure or Windows crash
    • Multi-mod play at once

Some of the features for developers
    • Simple files layout for modifications
    • Link, thumbnail image, description and a configuration file are available to customize on how the mod appears in the starter.
    • No worries for how your pak files are managed by the game. The starter takes care of that.

Unknown behiavour
    The multi-mod feature has a drawback on how modifications will work. Since at runtime only one version of a raw file (i.e image file) will work (it's simple physics : 2 different objects can't be at the same place in the same time) a possibility of conflict between 2 modifications can exist.
    But the solution to this problem is simple : don't play modifications at the same time that share the same files.

This drawback exists and i failed to implement a system to avoid this. I'm opened at any suggestions.

Another unknown area for me is the saving system. As far as i was told the game will probably not load a save that belongs to a mod wich is not loaded with the starter.

Requirements
    As it said in the ReadMe you will need Gothic3 to be installed and the .NET framework 2.0

There are 2 versions of the installer for G3 Starter, one included with the .net framework (~25 Mb) and one without the .net framework (~2 Mb).
    You need to have the .net framework installed or the starter will not work.
    It is your choice how you install it (either download it directly from Microsoft or download the installer version included with it).

For developers
    The structure of files for a modification has to be like this :
    Bold = folder
    italic = file
    *Modification name* = The name of the main folder for the modification will be the name that will appear in the Starter.
    *raw n.pak* = raw pak files belonging to the mod. If you use another extension the starter will still use the file but it will generate a warning in it's log.
    Description.rtf = Rich Text File for the description that will appear in the starter
    general.ini = Configuration file. At the moment it only has 3 valid settings in it (author - the team or person who made the modification, link_text - the text for the link that appears in the starter, link_url - URL address of the link that appears in the starter)
    Thumb.jpg - Image that appears in the starter. Recomended width-height : 200x150 px, jpg format.
    • *Modification name*
      • Files
        • *raw 1.pak*
        • *raw 2.pak*
        • *raw n.pak*
      • Description.rtf
      • general.ini
      • Thumb.jpg

Known ToDo
    Clean up the code, improve some functions and create a multi-language system.

Download locations
    You can find both versions of the installer on the wog.com page (link that follows)
    Also the installer includes a few gui tweak mods by default.
    Download @ wog.com

Thanks to WernerTWC and mistress_larisa for the feedback given during the development of the starter. Most of the features wouldn't had pop up in my mind if it wouldn't have been for them.
    Geändert von rockfest (23.01.2007 um 23:27 Uhr)

2. Beiträge anzeigen #2
    Cat  Avatar von Larisa

Larisa ist offline
    Some ideas:
    A bigger X close button. It's very small right now, but, if there will be a skin, maybe that can corect it.

"As far as i was told the game will probably not load a save that belongs to a mod wich is not loaded with the starter."

Some other mods/starters have the same drawback. But I think it applies only to mods that change the world/quests. Not to those about interface.

"Recomended width-height : 200x150 px, jpg format"

What happens if I put a bigger one?

"Most of the features wouldn't had pop up in my mind"

With the right hammer at the right time, sure they've would.

3. Beiträge anzeigen #3

rockfest ist offline
    A bigger X close button. It's very small right now, but, if there will be a skin, maybe that can corect it.
    Annoying no? I feel the same way. i just chosed a default skin for it an apply some colors. I haven't managed to make changes and i didn't even intended but i think that x button will be made bigger.

What happens if I put a bigger one?
    It would just cut down a portion of it (from the lower side i think) till it reaches the max width-height.

With the right hammer at the right time, sure they've would.
    maybe, but i doubt it. A sledgehammer might have been needed

4. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #4
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Lazor

Lazor ist offline
    VERY GOOD WORK ROCKFEST!!! . Can you also insert the autumn pacK??

5. Beiträge anzeigen #5

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Lazor Beitrag anzeigen
    VERY GOOD WORK ROCKFEST!!! . Can you also insert the autumn pacK??
    It's not my job. The one who made it should do it

edit:
    Download @ wog.com

6. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #6
    Fighter Avatar von Snoop_dg

Snoop_dg ist offline
    A starter allready . geez . The game has been realesed 3 months ago and we allready have a starter . Well thys could only mean that the moding teams are gathering and the moding begins soon . Cool but still I only played Gothic 3 once so da hell with the mods , let me explore the world more

7. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #7
    Chosen One Avatar von rekinu

rekinu ist offline
    Good Job rockfest !

It works now with the .Net framework

8. Beiträge anzeigen #8
    research Avatar von NicoDE

NicoDE ist offline
    Thanks for providing a cool starter for Gothic 3
    A standard for fan-made modifications is born. Let's hope that the existing mods will be repackaged for your starter in the near future

Best regards,
    Nico

ps: one little thing, the icon of the desktop link was wrong (there is no [g3]\Gothic3.ico in my system?)
    "Unter diesen schwierigen Umständen bin ich mir sicher, daß diese guten Menschen meinen augenblicklichen Bedarf an deren Gold verstehen werden." -- Connor

9. Beiträge anzeigen #9

rockfest ist offline
    ps: one little thing, the icon of the desktop link was wrong (there is no [g3]\Gothic3.ico in my system?)
    Ahh yes, i forgot to pack the icon too. Well, first mistake spotted. I'm sure more will come But ...

The game has been realesed 3 months ago and we allready have a starter
    I realise it's very early for such a tool to appear.
    However, small mods and most important GUI mods already appeared wich can use this tool to play them efficiently without increasing the number of pak's to p99 until big mods appear. And besides that i will have time to improve it in time.

ohh and thank you all for the best whishes

edit:
    @Nico
    Btw, i hope you don't mind if i inspired myself from your ReadMe's. The first time i wrote one and it seemed harder than the developing itself.
    Geändert von rockfest (23.01.2007 um 00:29 Uhr)

10. Beiträge anzeigen #10
    research Avatar von NicoDE

NicoDE ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von rockfest Beitrag anzeigen
    Btw, i hope you don't mind if i inspired myself from your ReadMe's. The first time i wrote one and it seemed harder than the developing itself.
    Don't care
    Usually one needs 20% of the time to make it work, and 80% to make it work for the average Windows user
    "Unter diesen schwierigen Umständen bin ich mir sicher, daß diese guten Menschen meinen augenblicklichen Bedarf an deren Gold verstehen werden." -- Connor

11. Beiträge anzeigen #11

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von NicoDE Beitrag anzeigen
    Don't care
    Usually one needs 20% of the time to make it work, and 80% to make it work for the average Windows user
    Hehe, very true.
    And another thing about Readme's that i won't forget is
    Zitat Zitat von Nico
    the average Windows user doesn't care about the ReadMe
    Still, it has to be done. The hardest part was to write a disclaimer or license or something. Didn't knew if it's really a standard template somewhere so i just had to write one from reading others. Or maybe i'm giving too much importance than i should.

12. Beiträge anzeigen #12

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von diego_pmc Beitrag anzeigen
    i have a problem with my diego's old characteristics mod
    th thumb dosan't appar in g3 starter. it is .jpg, it is 200x150 size, but still nothing-and also i would have like it more if it wouldn't have had any mods in it right from the start
    1. Make sure it's Thumb.jpg not thumb.jpg or jpeg and something like that. These file names will be case insesitive in the next version.
    2. There will be that version released when the official release will be done of v1.0 of the starter(hope to finish it next week).

13. Beiträge anzeigen #13
    Deus Avatar von WernerTWC

WernerTWC ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von diego_pmc Beitrag anzeigen
    ya those are correct-I copy/pasted another thum from another mod to see if it works, and it didn't work this time eighter-guess it means the files are wrong or something, but all the other features work with no problem-could someone try my mod to see if the thumb appears in their starter?
    Your Thumb has 200x188 it's too big + the filename is wrong, even the .jpg ending seems case sensetive, you have .JPG change that to .jpg

14. Beiträge anzeigen #14

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von WernerTWC Beitrag anzeigen
    Your Thumb has 200x188 it's too big + the filename is wrong, even the .jpg ending seems case sensetive, you have .JPG change that to .jpg
    *g* now that's what i call a total conflict

Anyway, even if the resolution is different, at least a part of the image should appear. And yeah..i did screwed up that thing with filenames(why did i even used caps for the first letters i don't know ). Anyway, these things won't be a problem in the next version.

15. Beiträge anzeigen #15
    Legend Avatar von harhar!

harhar! ist offline
    when will the next gothic3 starter will be released?

16. Beiträge anzeigen #16

rockfest ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von Orkelite-Killer Beitrag anzeigen
    when will the next gothic3 starter will be released?
    In a few days. Can't say for sure cause i have to take my driver's license, i just started a job and the vacation from the faculty is over. my free time has really decreased.
    But i don't have long, most of the features have been rewritten without .net, without it the starter is more efficient and i just have to rewrite some other parts of it and it will be released

17. Beiträge anzeigen #17
    Legend Avatar von harhar!

harhar! ist offline
    Zitat Zitat von rockfest Beitrag anzeigen
    In a few days. Can't say for sure cause i have to take my driver's license, i just started a job and the vacation from the faculty is over. my free time has really decreased.
    But i don't have long, most of the features have been rewritten without .net, without it the starter is more efficient and i just have to rewrite some other parts of it and it will be released
    i hope you fixed the bug i had^^
    i wrote it in a pm^^

18. Beiträge anzeigen #18
    Dragonslayer Avatar von Omid-

Omid- ist offline
    so u people can make mods huh.....well try to put horses in tha game

i dont know if this is possible but if anyone can reduce the resolution lol so minimum would be 512mb ram and maximum 1024mb ram ( then i can run it normal jesus )
    if its really possible tell me about it
    Geändert von Omid- (02.03.2007 um 20:40 Uhr) Grund: forgot something

19. Beiträge anzeigen #19
    Schwertmeister Avatar von spiros_kreta

spiros_kreta ist offline
    so u people can make mods huh.....well try to put horses in tha game

i dont know if this is possible but if anyone can reduce the resolution lol so minimum would be 512mb ram and maximum 1024mb ram ( then i can run it normal jesus )
    if its really possible tell me about it
    I have read in the ART of GOTHIC 3 that ,
    PB said that at the beginning , they wanted to put in the game raiders but in the end they desided not to put the in the game (i don't remember why )

Well we can't do a mod like this , because:

1. At the moment we can't do models , only change the coulors .
    2. It's very difficult
    Ή ταν ή επί τας

20. Homepage besuchen Beiträge anzeigen #20
    Fighter Avatar von [Raptor]

[Raptor] ist offline
    Horses, heh. That was one thing I noticed when I first started to play the game. An entire continent to explore and nothing to ride. Its a looong walk from Nordmar to Varant. Makes ya want to lasso a Snapper or a Ripper Beast and ride it. I love it the same, no matter.

Seite 1 von 2 12 Letzte »