PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Do you guys think there will be a Gothic 5?

Ashtasu
02.02.2011, 20:24
Hey Guys, I want your opinion on this. This is the question, do you think there will be a Gothic 5, or is the Gothic series at It's end and a thing of the past? Or can you not answer that?

P.S: I couldn't figure out how to make a poll so just answer it.

ICFabian
02.02.2011, 20:33
A Gothic 5 as in a continuation of SB's trainwreck plot? If so, no.

But I'd love to see another Gothic game in the Gothic universe. Just based on other characters/settings. Maybe a prequel. Something different, the current plot was milked to its full with Gothic 3.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I took that to mean, "Do you WANT a Gothic 5." My bad.

warstrike
02.02.2011, 20:43
No ,there won`t be any future gothic in my opinion. Jowood lost a lot of money with arcania ,and PB won`t go back to gothic probably after SB butchered the game. But who knows ,maybe JW will make it and publish another gothic (oh god ,no !)

Ast3r
02.02.2011, 20:48
As Faby said...its been milked to its full.There is nothing left in it.

However they could make a fifth installment as a prequel...or maybe a story thats taking place like 100-200 years after the current events.

warstrike
02.02.2011, 20:50
However they could make a fifth installment as a prequel...or maybe a story thats taking place like 100-200 years after the current events.

or a few years before the whole thing :)

ICFabian
02.02.2011, 21:09

There are a lot of unexplored subplots...

1. Lee's past.
2. The war in Varant.
3. The past of other important characters.
4. The aftermath of the orcish invasion in Khorinis.
5. The First Orc War.
6. The war on the dark temples.
7. The fall of Jharkendar.
8. Paladins vs. the orcs who summoned the Sleeper (but this might be the same thing as the first orc war, so I'm not very sure.)

etc

Sakabato
02.02.2011, 21:35

Does that means, gunpowder weapons?!

Yes! Because Gothic didn't got stuck in time. Do I need to go back to the same discussion I had like 3 years ago?(Canons, pirates, big renaiscense ships, rapiers, etc..) ^^'

ICFabian
02.02.2011, 21:37
big renaiscense ships

The Esmeralda, or whatever the ship was called, was pretty much Renaissance-ish, sort of like a carrack.

TudoracheMG
02.02.2011, 21:48
I think there will

Eidolon
02.02.2011, 21:48
Was there a Gothic 4 to begin with?

(Hurr,hurr I couldn't resist.)

Sorinash
02.02.2011, 21:50
There are a lot of unexplored subplots...

1. Lee's past.
2. The war in Varant.
3. The past of other important characters.
4. The aftermath of the orcish invasion in Khorinis.
5. The First Orc War.
6. The war on the dark temples.
7. The fall of Jharkendar.
8. Paladins vs. the orcs who summoned the Sleeper (but this might be the same thing as the first orc war, so I'm not very sure.)

etc

I would also add the Paladins' battle for destroying the five great temples of Beliar (I think I have said a bs right now,I srsly don't remember the exact details of what Pyrokhar said about these temples...or if there are even 5...haven't played gothic 2 for a long time).

bigsnappy
02.02.2011, 21:52
As Faby said...its been milked to its full.There is nothing left in it.

I wholeheartedly disagree! I see a lot of possibilities to make a Gothic 5.
Maybe they should hire me. :D

ICFabian
02.02.2011, 21:56
I wholeheartedly disagree! I see a lot of possibilities to make a Gothic 5.
Maybe they should hire me. :D

I said the current plotline is milked, not the whole universe and its avenues.

bigsnappy
02.02.2011, 22:17
I said the current plotline is milked, not the whole universe and its avenues.

From your perspective it is, but you are not me and you don't have my ideas.;)
The current plotline can easily be taken and continued in a real Gothic 4 (not Arcania), or G5 for all I care.

Alwin
02.02.2011, 22:23
From your perspective it is, but you are not me and you don't have my ideas.;)
The current plotline can easily be taken and continued in a real Gothic 4 (not Arcania), or G5 for all I care.

If you don't actually plan to develop such a game, or take part in its development, I would really love to listen to some of your ideas. I mean, the G3 ending slideshow just concludes everything and ties up many loose ends (talking about vanilla, not FG which I've never had). And even if you did have ideas, they likely wouldn't be as good as the first 3 games' storylines. Just take a look at a typical 2-3 piece TV series: usually the first part is the best, then all subsequent parts start to get less funny or exciting as the best ideas are fired away. I think that Gothic 3 is a perfect time to let the Nameless Hero's adventures rest. On the other hand, I also agree that a game which deals with another aspect of the Gothic universe may be a fine addition to the franchise.

bigsnappy
02.02.2011, 22:37
If you don't actually plan to develop such a game, or take part in its development, I would really love to listen to some of your ideas.

On the other hand, I also agree that a game which deals with another aspect of the Gothic universe may be a fine addition to the franchise.

I'm quite modest about my ideas. I think they are good, but of course I have no idea if others will think they are good, because I never talked about them.
What I am planning is to simply write a letter to PB if they get the Gothic rights back and are suggesting that they (might) continue with the Gothic series. Either they'll like my ideas, or not.

But, I am going to write that letter if they do go for another Gothic, that's for sure.

ICFabian
02.02.2011, 22:44
I'm quite modest about my ideas. I think they are good, but of course I have no idea if others will think they are good, because I never talked about them.
What I am planning is to simply write a letter to PB if they get the Gothic rights back and are suggesting that they (might) continue with the Gothic series. Either they'll like my ideas, or not.

But, I am going to write that letter if they do go for another Gothic, that's for sure.

Or you could learn modding and modelling and see where that takes you.

bigsnappy
02.02.2011, 22:48
Or you could learn modding and modelling and see where that takes you.

Yes, but writing stories and dialogues is what I really like.

Ashtasu
02.02.2011, 22:56
Hey Guys, didn't expect for this to be so popular this fast, well, majority decides a very minimal chance or no chance that a Gothic 5 will be created. Well, Gothic I will admit too is probably done with... *Waits for Risen 2 to come out.*

UR1Z13L
02.02.2011, 23:03
First Orc war and the Destroying of the other Beliar temples sounds pretty good but it has to be executed properly.

Bastardo
02.02.2011, 23:44
but it has to be executed properly.Everything should be executed properly, but no Gothic is ever going to be executed properly again.

Aetherian
03.02.2011, 00:37
I think JoWood executed it just fine.

Onisuzume
03.02.2011, 01:42
Hey Guys, I want your opinion on this. This is the question, do you think there will be a Gothic 5, or is the Gothic series at It's end and a thing of the past? Or can you not answer that?

P.S: I couldn't figure out how to make a poll so just answer it.
I'd rather have a Gothic 4 first. :p

I doubt there even existed paladins when the Sleeper was summoned.
Seeing as that's been at least 1000 years before Gothic 1.

I would also add the Paladins' battle for destroying the five great temples of Beliar (I think I have said a bs right now,I srsly don't remember the exact details of what Pyrokhar said about these temples...or if there are even 5...haven't played gothic 2 for a long time).
Afaik, only two of the four temples were destroyed.

Additionally, the other war(s) between Innos and Beliar (the one in Gothic 3 most definitely isn't the first one, and they happen every 1000 years or so, I think is mentioned. Hm... yup, Xardas mentions it.) One might even be the first wielder of Uriziel! :D

Bastardo
03.02.2011, 02:45
I think JoWood executed it just fine.It was an execution all right.

.†.MikeL.†.
03.02.2011, 20:18
Arcania forced JoWood to go into insolvency, I doupt there will be a next title.

Sorinash
03.02.2011, 20:28
...And they can't just quit doing their jobs.So...a new game with a new story FTW I suppose :D

megalex
04.02.2011, 00:24
I'm sure there will be, some day. It is a very popular title in Europe and somebody has to "milk it" some more, while also trying to appeal to US/ Asia etc (sounds familiar...). If it's not gona be ArcaDia 2 then some other title, from JoWood or someone else.

Will there ever be a Gothic game similar in gameplay as G1,2,3? I think not. RPGs in general look to be a thing of the past TBH. Action/ FPS/ Hack&Slash semi RPGs seem to be the new thing :scared:

.†.MikeL.†.
04.02.2011, 10:12
Will there ever be a Gothic game similar in gameplay as G1,2,3? I think not.

Risen is the closest thing to G1 and G2. G3 is ignorable anyway.

Mage Master
04.02.2011, 13:57
I think that it's quite possible for a G5, not sure why tough. As for the storyline, there is an almost infinite amounts of content for a story, it can almost always be cheap-assed and it to turn out that everything that has happened up to now was actually someone's dream, or some sort of epic tale.
Hmm... actually, it would be kinna of a nice story if the hero from arcania wakes up and it turns out that everything that happened in arcania was a dream of his, and that some twists happen and you end up fighting an evil demon, or something else that's generic.

megalex
04.02.2011, 14:35
Risen is the closest thing to G1 and G2. G3 is ignorable anyway.

Risen, yeah, can not wait for Risen 2.

G3 ignorable? For some, maybe. I love it with the 1,74 patch. Never played it in it's original form though, i did not have the computer to do it(think only NASA did TBH).

ICFabian
04.02.2011, 14:43
G3 ignorable? For some, maybe. I love it with the 1,74 patch. Never played it in it's original form though, i did not have the computer to do it(think only NASA did TBH).

Not just because of the bugs, but the broken storyline, the insipid characters, the mockery of lore, etc.

andorian22
04.02.2011, 17:41
I want any game that has a lot of swords and cool armors. with a 3rd person perspective
I can't stop playing G2, I always come back to it

WernerTWC
04.02.2011, 21:55
well, majority decides a very minimal chance or no chance that a Gothic 5 will be created.

They don't read the german forums. ;)

I'm quite sure there will be a Gothic 5 by PBs, ... it'd be a sure shot, make a g5 from pbs and you have 500.000 copies as good as sold.

Nisarg
05.02.2011, 04:09
I'm quite sure there will be a Gothic 5 by PBs, ... it'd be a sure shot, make a g5 from pbs and you have 500.000 copies as good as sold.

And I'm quite sure that there'll be nothing of that sort. PB will go on to make a Risen series. If PB return to Gothic, they'll be restricting their creativity quite a bit. Besides, not everyone cares who's the dev. People disappointed by Arcania might expect that no future Gothic games will turn out to be good. So, even if the dev changes, Arcania will still negatively influence sales. Contrast this with Risen, it was not a big success, but it's still generally regarded as a good game, and DS did come up with somewhat uncommon ways to advertise Risen. If they improve their efforts and pay more attention even to the usual methods of advertisement, I'm sure that they'll substantially increase the sales of Risen 2.

Hav'caaren An'givare
05.02.2011, 09:50
...And they can't just quit doing their jobs.So...a new game with a new story FTW I suppose :D

Ravensdale ? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuKshkCyY8)

Now we know why Arcania sucked, Spellbound spent more time developing Ravensdale. This is actually the main Spellbound project, while Arcania, the bastard son of Gothic, was just a small test and a way to scrape some money.

megalex
06.02.2011, 03:17
Not just because of the bugs, but the broken storyline, the insipid characters, the mockery of lore, etc.

I think you are a bit harsh. I'd put that description to Arcania's grave, not G3. You have a point though.FWIW, i would take a G3 look alike over any RPG that came out in the past few years.

Onisuzume
11.02.2011, 01:21
They don't read the german forums. ;)

Make that 500.001. ;)

Now we know why Arcania sucked, Spellbound spent more time developing Ravensdale. This is actually the main Spellbound project, while Arcania, the bastard son of Gothic, was just a small test and a way to scrape some money.
I'd say the fault lies at JoWooD for assigning a different developer to the game in the first place (even that thrice-cursed Götterdammerung).

When (or if) PB releases Gothic 4, we'll probably see a note somewhere saying that Götterdammerung/ArcaniA were nothing more than a nightmare that TNH had.

kepalas
26.02.2011, 18:15
I wish that PB would make a new Gothic with same engine like g2, but with very nice textures and improved combat system (harder, more challenging). Such game probably wouldn't be popular, but I think we fans would love it.

Larisa
26.02.2011, 18:48
Such game probably wouldn't be popular

Hence, it won't happen, since PBs require nourishment too.

kepalas
26.02.2011, 18:52

I know. It's just a dream :D

ICFabian
26.02.2011, 19:51

THEY MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.

Onisuzume
27.02.2011, 12:37
THEY MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.
They require more vespene gas.

Tratos
27.02.2011, 23:45
[creepy voice] Summon more overloooordz. [/creepy voice]

Th13f
28.02.2011, 11:15
More gold is needed!

ICFabian
28.02.2011, 11:18
YOU RUINED IT

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/517631/698617.jpg

Sakabato
01.03.2011, 02:08
I wish that PB would make a new Gothic with same engine like g2, but with very nice textures and improved combat system (harder, more challenging). Such game probably wouldn't be popular, but I think we fans would love it.

You can't be serious...

And you think they will make a game just for a couple hundreds of people?

Get real...Personaly, I would see that as the biggest fail ever, in games industry.
And as a personal note, I think you should update your computer, mate. ^_^'

Stay cool... ; )

Nisarg
01.03.2011, 07:18
And as a personal note, I think you should update your computer, mate. ^_^'

Did you know that his post cannot be a valid criterion for us to decide whether his system is outdated or not? Probably all he wants is that same old feel which just isn't there in the newer games with better graphics. And yes, there are people who actually care about the feel of he game instead of just the rendering tech (oooh, pretty HDR, cool shadows and reflection, OMG PARALLAX effect, SSAO, SSII, etc) and I dare say that Gothic 2 feels better than most of the newer games.

Remain calm, citizen (or villager, or townsman, or XYZ as the case may be).

Assassin of Kings
08.03.2011, 09:44
I see they are making an addon for Gothic 4, so maybe there will be a Gothic 5 as well, though I think they've exploited the story of Gothic enough.

morgwin
26.03.2011, 01:52
I used to hope for more gothics but after Arcania perhaps its best gothic ends before it gets an even worse reputation.

KGS
26.03.2011, 15:25
arcania flame flame flame
pb praise praise praise

/i still didn't like G3 though /

ICFabian
26.03.2011, 19:03
/i still didn't like G3 though /

this x 1000.

KGS
26.03.2011, 20:22
this x 1000.

i think i like it more when it was retarding-ly easy because the characters feel like retards too
and i didn't have to play "guess who is the leader" games with the rebels to take a city

Powaz
26.03.2011, 22:02
The only problem Gothic 3 has is the retconed lore, characters etc. Besides that it's alright.

Panadoksis
28.03.2011, 22:22
As for Gothic 5 - I hope not, but I am hoping that there will be Risen 2.

Nisarg
29.03.2011, 06:54
There IS a Risen 2 in pre alpha stage right now. You might want to check what we definitely know, as well as our conjectures regarding that, in World of Risen.

Panadoksis
29.03.2011, 19:47
There IS a Risen 2 in pre alpha stage right now. You might want to check what we definitely know, as well as our conjectures regarding that, in World of Risen.

There is?!?! That means there is tooth fairy after all!! YAY! (runs away)

Korianous
29.03.2011, 20:29
Apparently plans were in the works for an Arcania 2 before the...er...fiasco that was Arcania hit the shelves. If Jowood can save itself, I imagine they will want a sequel. I doubt the Piranhas will return to Gothic, I think they've moved on, and perhaps that's for the best.

Hellbilly
29.03.2011, 20:30
Apparently plans were in the works for an Arcania 2 before the...er...fiasco that was Arcania hit the shelves. If Jowood can save itself, I imagine they will want a sequel. Guess we'll see.

Or not. The modest (and I'm being generous by using that word, I think) commercial success and media/fan interest of Arcania doesn't seem like the stuff succesful series are made of.

Ratamahatta
30.03.2011, 15:29
Probably all he wants is that same old feel which just isn't there in the newer games with better graphics. And yes, there are people who actually care about the feel of he game instead of just the rendering tech and I dare say that Gothic 2 feels better than most of the newer games.
bull's eye! I've tried a lot of same genre games, but still, much better graphic, effects and so on - just simply can't compete with atmosphere and perfect story line of G1 and G2 (notr). it just has something, that attracts us so much.

back to topic, there won't be gothic 5. even with Arcania - it is nonsense to call Gothic. this game is different from original gothic series, and was involved to gothic just for marketing purposes, to attract old fans, imho.

ICFabian
30.03.2011, 15:51
it just has something, that attracts us so much.

I've actually tried to find an answer to this eternal question, but have always been incapable of seeing it to the end. Maybe it's the eclecticism of the game, the brutality of the world, the music, the believable characters and situations mixed with classic fantasy elements.

The Shield
31.03.2011, 00:19
G5 = Milking a dead Cow.

BTW, G4 killed the cow, way to go Jowood....wuhuuuuuu!!.

andorian22
13.04.2011, 17:33
g2 was good graphically in 2002, I 'd still like to see it
redone as good as g3, i think it begs for it.

warstrike
13.04.2011, 18:22
bull's eye! I've tried a lot of same genre games, but still, much better graphic, effects and so on - just simply can't compete with atmosphere and perfect story line of G1 and G2 (notr). it just has something, that attracts us so much.

Sometimes i wonder what gives gothic such a great atmosphere(speaking of g1 and g2). It may be the music? The characters?

valyem56
13.04.2011, 21:31
Gothicz.net: Mike, last question. If you had a chance to win the rights for Gothic back, would you consider it? Is there a possibility, that you ever develop another Gothic?

Mike: We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time ;)

Wise move.

Thanks for the questions, see you on the net.

Mike
Source: http://www.gothicz.net/serie-gothic/mike-hoge-talks-about-gothic/
This was an intriguing answer from Mike Hoge, one of the PB co-founders. So, don't give up hope, we might still see some real gothic gameplay in the future.

KGS
13.04.2011, 21:37
no, i don't

did everyone miss this from the interview

Gothicz.net: March the 15th is the 10th anniversary of the release of Gothic 1. What comes to your mind when you think of this jubilee?

Mike: I always used to plan in 5-year steps. Now another of these steps reaches its conclusion with Risen 2. After that, I REALLY would like to do a different kind game - at least a different kind of setting. Pirates are cool but still too close to the fantasy setting imho, which i have been working on for 10 years now.

Dino
15.04.2011, 07:45
Under the current circumstances of JoWood diminishing and PB doing random stuff... no, there ain't gonna be Gothic 5.

Besides the series went all the way down with 3. This is enough as it is, no need to make moar n moar.

andorian22
20.04.2011, 17:05
No no, no, the Gothic series should go on forever!:D

catalinux
05.05.2011, 20:33
Sometimes i wonder what gives gothic such a great atmosphere(speaking of g1 and g2). It may be the music? The characters?

I know for myself why I'm so in love with G1 and G2NotR :) You see... I feel like home in there. It's my Wonderland. Yes.. after 10 years I can't play anything else. But it's not like playing. It's like returning home. Feels great in there...

As for the topic... Yes, I would like to see another Gothic made by PB, and I'm sure it will be a Gothic 5 if some publisher will pay for such a game.

Assassin of Kings
09.05.2011, 14:33
If they make a new Gothic, I hope it will be called Gothic 4, as Arcania is too lame to remain a sequel of Gothic.:D Also, they could make another trilogy with events from before those in Gothic, like in Star Wars. They could make it about Rhobar II's wars and his ascension to throne, Xardas' life, the Valley of Mines in its old days (the time of the Lord of Tymorisin) or other past events. Gothic 3 was clearly meant to be the end of the story, as the nameless and Xardas disappear from the world forever and the ending briefly presents what happens to the other characters and how everything turns out good for everyone. So the only way of resurrecting Gothic seems making a prequel to the events in the trilogy.

C-Hawk
09.05.2011, 17:47
good idea, and then at the end, NH was born...
and maybe even see the reason NH was put in the VoM...
BUT, some people don't want to know the reason and they (I hope PB) needs to think of one ofc.
I like to think NH is the son of 'a' king. :p
Finally some revenge, even not knowing he's royal :D

Ikesuy
12.05.2011, 16:37
I mean, just imagine, a gothic style,where you can do anything, in the modern world

Assassin of Kings
12.05.2011, 21:02
I mean, just imagine, a gothic style,where you can do anything, in the modern world

Gothic is not Gothic without the medieval setting.

Sakabato
12.05.2011, 23:57
Gothic is not Gothic without the medieval renaissance setting.

Fixed it for ye, mate..^_^

Assassin of Kings
13.05.2011, 15:09
Fixed it for ye, mate..^_^

It looks medieval to me. The architecture of the houses, the clothing of the characters, the armours, everything ... Except for the fact that there are cannons, but that may be just an error.

Assassin's Creed 2 is a game set in the Renaissance, and the cities look way different from the ones in Gothic.;)

Sakabato
13.05.2011, 16:33
It looks medieval to me. The architecture of the houses, the clothing of the characters, the armours, everything ... Except for the fact that there are cannons, and rapiers\cutlass, a big galeon but that may be just an error.

Fixed it again, my good sir. ^_^

ICFabian
13.05.2011, 16:42
It looks medieval to me. The architecture of the houses, the clothing of the characters, the armours, everything ... Except for the fact that there are cannons, but that may be just an error.

Cannons were (late) medieval and had started being used as early as the fourteenth century.

The clothing is a sterling example of renaissance clothing, from the citizen outfits, to the baron/gallowsman gambeson, to the female dresses.

The upper quarter houses are built in the Tudor style. The arches and niches and statues are par excellence renaissance.

The full plate and mail combination is also reminiscent of the Renaissance.

Zero Cool
14.05.2011, 07:52
Maybe, MAYBE after they finish Risen 2. But MAYBE. But I don't think so, I think they will continue with Risen 3

Assassin of Kings
14.05.2011, 08:15
Cannons were (late) medieval and had started being used as early as the fourteenth century.

The clothing is a sterling example of renaissance clothing, from the citizen outfits, to the baron/gallowsman gambeson, to the female dresses.

The upper quarter houses are built in the Tudor style. The arches and niches and statues are par excellence renaissance.

The full plate and mail combination is also reminiscent of the Renaissance.

OK, that might be for Gothic 2. But the way the camps look in Gothic 1, especially the Old Camp, has got to be medieval.:D
What about Gothic 3? In which age would you situate it, considering the same facts (clothes, architecture ...)?

Zero Cool
14.05.2011, 08:17
This Game should be a GAME, fantasy etc. not real life.

ICFabian
14.05.2011, 10:05
But the way the camps look in Gothic 1, especially the Old Camp, has got to be medieval.:D

Hm, yeah. <13th at any rate, but still High Medieval.