PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : A Great problem indeed. Could Mud be responsible?

asn208
11.01.2009, 05:00
First off I would like to exclaim a big hello to all the people in the Gothic Community. Without your hardwork, dedication and knowhow getting help for Gothic enthusists such as my self would be all but impossible §wink (I hope the "smilies" is not giving you the bird I intend it to be a "hi" :D)

Secondly my horrible and dastardly problem :mad: : In Gothic II Night of the Raven v2.7 from the "Gothic Universe" software bundle I cannot see any In game movies or even the intro. My operating system is Windows Vista 64-bit with a fully updated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 graphics card. I would really like to see the movies as I had played this game a long time ago and remember how the movies gave great entertainment and Gothic feel to the game thusly greatly increasing the enjoyment.

With great shame I have nothing to offer to the heroic and unhearlded efforts of Good Samaritans would help a complete stranger. §cry

Thanks,
Andrew

Korianous
11.01.2009, 05:21
Welcome here, friend §welcome.

Have you tried reading the technical help FAQ? There's many Vista issues there. I suggest you peruse it first. If you still can't find a solution, just ask again. We're happy to help :).

asn208
11.01.2009, 21:06
I'm sorry but I still couldn't find a solution.:dnuhr:

Cheers,
Andrew

Zahpeter
11.01.2009, 21:10
Set a desktop shortcut to the game.
Check compatibility mode, for XP
Check disable desktop composition.
Did it for me...at least most of the time...sometimes they go off again.
Try it 2-3 times.
Post back. :D

asn208
12.01.2009, 00:00
I have Windows Vista 64-bit :eek:, I know now that was pretty stupid of me beliving that getting the most powerfull version of Windows was the thing to do, as many of my programs refuse to play nicely with it :D. Or at all :p

Cheers,
Andrew

firefly1981
12.01.2009, 06:16
I think the best platform for gaming is windows xp sp2, vista eat 6 GB while xp only 1,5 GB, and with XP you'll get less game compatibility issue, and your hardware will run faster with XP because it's not as heavy as vista.

Onisuzume
12.01.2009, 10:58
I think the best platform for gaming is windows xp sp2, vista eat 6 GB while xp only 1,5 GB, and with XP you'll get less game compatibility issue, and your hardware will run faster with XP because it's not as heavy as vista.
Afaik, SP3 is better than SP2.

Anyways, turn-off the AA on your video card. (Catalyst Control Centre->3D->AA) and/or turn off video scaling in the gothic.ini (change the 1 to a 0).

Zahpeter
12.01.2009, 11:06
I have Windows Vista 64-bit :eek:, I know now that was pretty stupid of me beliving that getting the most powerfull version of Windows was the thing to do, as many of my programs refuse to play nicely with it :D. Or at all :p

Cheers,
Andrew
I also have Vista x64. Those steps are what i did to make the game work on my machine. Try them :)

firefly1981
12.01.2009, 11:24
Afaik, SP3 is better than SP2.

Maybe, but since my XP doing fine with all the games that i have, i thought why should i install sp3, the change log say that it doesn't add much to it.

asn208
15.01.2009, 23:54
Zahpeter thank you for trying to help me, but your way didn't solve the problem. I even tried running the program in Windows XP service pack 2 compatibilty mode. Still the same result.

Onisuzume the control panel for my graphics card only lets me go as low as 2x AA, and where and what is the .ini? Thanks for your post.

Sincerly,
Andrew Nault

TazmanDevil
16.01.2009, 03:41
You find the gothic.ini in the System Directory of your Gothic2 Installation. If you don't display file extensions in the explorer: it should be the only file named 'gothic' in that directory.

The gothic.ini is a text file, open it with notepad or another editor (or just double-click it). Search for scaleVideos=1 and change it to scaleVideos=0.

You won't see the videos in full-screen size, but at least you'll see them.

Tratos
16.01.2009, 20:11
You find the gothic.ini in the System Directory of your Gothic2 Installation. If you don't display file extensions in the explorer: it should be the only file named 'gothic' in that directory.

Disagree: if you don't see the extensions, you should guide yourself by the icons, since there is also the matter of Gothic.exe and Gothic.rpt, in the system folder.

asn208
16.01.2009, 23:44
Thank you for your quick response TazmanDevil and Tratos but which one of you is right? I need to know before I possible screw up my computer. :eek:

TazmanDevil
17.01.2009, 00:25
The fool-proof solution: right-click on the file, select properties from the context menue and look at the file type: Configuration Settings (.ini) is the right one

And as you have Vista: copy the .ini on your desktop, make the changes there and copy it back into the system folder of your Gothic2 installation.

@Tratos:
This question is about Gothic 2. I doubt you can find a second file named 'gothic' in that folder.
In G2 the .rpt file is named Gothic2.rpt (and is a text file anyway)
The .exe is named Gothic2.exe
The .ini file is named gothic.ini