PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : help with system specs

pievien
07.01.2009, 17:14
i've had gothic 3 for a couple of years now, and i'm mega fed up with the game keep freezing on me, I've got a
Intel Pentium 4 1.8ghz processor
1.79ghz. 1.00gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 6200,

The only thing that i can think off to why the game won't run smoothly is that my Processor isn't good enough, just wondering if anyone has any idea's how i can make the game run smoothly, I've changed the setting on to min where possible. The PC is my wifes which is well over 5 years old.
Apart from buying a new machine i'm stumped, i did think about a start up disk, but i've forgotton how to do this, as the last time i did that was with DOS, which is mega long time ago, I've even shut everything i can down in the system tray (one's i know i don't need, prob more i could shut down if i knew what i have to leave running)

Thanks in adavance for any help you can with this problem

Larisa
07.01.2009, 18:19
Welcome here §wink

At a first glance, I would say all 3 components are kinda low.

The game should run indeed with that specs, but you can't demand fluid motions.

pievien
07.01.2009, 18:24
cheers mistress_larisa, i can get the game to run for awhile before it freezes, but every time i get into a fight the game freezes and i get my ass kicked every time, mega annoying, its when there are alot of people/animals around that the screen freezes, i got so fed up with it, i stoped playing it for over a year, now i want to get back into the game as i love this one, played gotic 1 when it first came out all them many years ago,

DrakeNero
07.01.2009, 19:10
1st of all don't make 2 threads with the same subject disscusion on them it is useless and 2nd not to be offtopic as mistress larisa said you can't demand fluid motions in gothic 3 on your rig even if you tweak it it will still run like crap trust me I used to play it on same pc specs as you and it was rather unplayable so I quit playing and bought another PC anyway cheers and welcome to the forum §welcome

Zelazko
08.01.2009, 04:35
Well my computer meets requirements I have Intel Quad Core Processor 2.4 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT and, 3 GB of ram and the game still freezes every 2 minutes even if I set everything to minimum ( of course I leave only texture quality on medium). I guess that gothic 3 is just poorly optimized.

pievien
08.01.2009, 12:41
thanks everyone for your help in this matter, so by the look of it, i'll have to get a new pc, so without spening a small fortune, what spec's do you recomend i go with? if you have any PC's in mind that you know would be good for playing G3 that would be very helpfull.

I Hate Snow
08.01.2009, 14:30
I had problems like that with my system I changed a couple of things that helped make the game freeze much less often and for much shorter periods. 1.5GB mem, 512MB Radeon HD 2600, AMD 64 2800 2.4GH. I know my system specs are a bit higher but the following things helped me. The game ran like crap for me right out of the box.

I adjusted the mouse movement to lowest settings possible and that helped a lot. Even at lowest settings the mouse moves fast enough to play even at -100. It made things a lot smoother. Smoothness I set to about to -80%.

I set my Windows swapfile to fixed min and max of same size. It doesn't seem to grind the disk as often which would cause freezing.

Disabling or setting shadows to lowest, whichever is lowest setting on slider. I found this to be quite helpful for my system.

I changed all the settings on my display to disallow the game from controlling whatever 3D settings that allowed me to do so. These options may be card specific though.

Upgrading with the latest patch after installing made a big difference before trying the above changes, but it still wasn't great, which further improved game play. So make sure you install the latest patches for game and install latest video drivers. It shouldn't hurt to re-install Direct X also.

I still have a problem with running out of memory and freezing solid after playing for an extended period, faster if visiting a lot of different locations in game, which then requires calling Task Manager to kill it.

This web page might help you out. It's where I got suggestion for swapfile settings. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gothic-3-Troubleshooting-40075.shtml

Hopefully something here might help.

I found this game to be quite addictive after making it playable with a bit of tweaking.

pievien
08.01.2009, 17:02
i'm looking at getting a apple imac, just wondering if anyone know's if G3 would work with this, also if does, do you think this one looks good (looking at a apple imac as seen as i get a 14% discount as i work for a uni,

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
with 128MB memory

i've already looked on ebay and i can upgrade memory with ddr2 800ghz 4gb for about 40 quid, cheaper than apple charge,

.†.MikeL.†.
09.01.2009, 22:59
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
with 128MB memory

i've already looked on ebay and i can upgrade memory with ddr2 800ghz 4gb for about 40 quid, cheaper than apple charge,

You'll need a better graphics card with at least 256MB memory.

Old Nick
16.01.2009, 15:26
I played G3 in dec.2006 with a pc with this configuration:
AMD Athlon 1,8GHz
1GB of RAM
Geforce FX5200,128MB
The levels of details were set to low,of course.I overclocked the video card and installed the last supported video driver.It was not beautiful,but it worked.

Old Nick
17.01.2009, 10:21
Well my computer meets requirements I have Intel Quad Core Processor 2.4 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT and, 3 GB of ram and the game still freezes every 2 minutes even if I set everything to minimum ( of course I leave only texture quality on medium). I guess that gothic 3 is just poorly optimized.

Gothic 3 with cp 1.6 is well optimized in my opinion.I played it with Intel 2Core Duo E8400 3Ghz ,Nvidia GeForce 9800GX2 and 4GBof RAM on maximum detail levels and worked great at 1280-1024 resolution.The only problem on max. levels is that the game crashes from time to time(after 2,3 hours) so you need to save often.On your system is should run al least on medium if not on high details.I think it's a system optimizing that you need.

pievien
17.01.2009, 11:33
cheers old nick, do you know where i can get a good system optimizer from, i defrag every so oftern.

Old Nick
17.01.2009, 11:54
cheers old nick, do you know where i can get a good system optimizer from, i defrag every so oftern.

It's not about a system optimization program that I'm talking about.Yes,defragmenting your hard disk is good but that's not enough.You can optimize your pc by stopping the programs running in background.I use Windows XP and when I play G3 I close all other programs including my internet connection.And I can see a difference.Also,you can search a better driver for your video card.It 's not the best vga,but I played G3 with a worse one,as I said before.

pievien
18.01.2009, 16:30
i found what min system needs a while ago, let me play G3, still freezes once in a while, i have tast manager only running the following

alg.exe
csrss.exe
ctfmon.exe
dllhost.exe
explorer.exe
iexplore.exe
leerlaufporzess
lsass.exe
mdm.exe
msdtc.exe
ntvdm.exe
services.exe
sms.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
system
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe

plus when i load G3 up, i set the prioraty to high, as well as set my graphic card to proformance,

Ast3r
18.01.2009, 17:07
plus when i load G3 up, i set the prioraty to high, as well as set my graphic card to proformance,

Play the game leaving the priority at normal because sometimes changeing it can affect the stability of the application or the system.

Old Nick
18.01.2009, 17:13
i've had gothic 3 for a couple of years now, and i'm mega fed up with the game keep freezing on me, I've got a
Intel Pentium 4 1.8ghz processor
1.79ghz. 1.00gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 6200,

Well,for this pc I have one advice: overclocking.Start with the video card.Increase the frequency step by step.If you don't know how to do,you can download coolbits(hope I'm not wrong,it's been a while).It's a free app who can help you modify the the frequency from nvidia control panel.It is the easy way.If you can't use coolbits,you can try another tunning app.It's risky,but not quite as they say.My FX5200 from 2005 is still working(on another pc)and I overclocked her despite her passive cooling system.

Larisa
18.01.2009, 18:50
alg.exe
csrss.exe
ctfmon.exe
dllhost.exe
explorer.exe
iexplore.exe
leerlaufporzess
lsass.exe
mdm.exe
msdtc.exe
ntvdm.exe
services.exe
sms.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
system
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe

You certainly don't need spoolsv, sms (possible virus/trojan!), mdm, ctfmon or iexplore to run Gothic3.

Kostaz
18.01.2009, 19:30
About smss.exe:
This is the session manager subsystem, which is responsible for starting the user session. This process is initiated by the system thread and is responsible for various activities, including launching the Winlogon and Win32 (Csrss.exe) processes and setting system variables. After it has launched these processes, it waits for either Winlogon or Csrss to end. If this happens "normally," the system shuts down; if it happens unexpectedly, Smss.exe causes the system to stop responding (hang).

Note: The smss.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, smss.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

You can even kill explorer.exe for more RAM.

pievien
19.01.2009, 07:18
cheers , i'll give it all a try very shrotly, just playing a old game i used to play on the C64, yeah i know its a old old game, but its still brilliant,